You are here

FAQ - Admissions  

1. Where can you obtain information about international student admission and Erasmus programmes?

In the Education section you can find all the information you need about the Italian university system and the administrative procedures necessary for enrolling and attending the University of Milan. If you are not sure where to go have a look at international students application wizard.

If you need any help or information that you cannot find in our website, contact the International Students Office: besides helping you with your application, a Welcome Desk will support you in organizing your stay, before and after your arrival. 

Furthermore, the International section of our website provides a lot of useful information – from administrative procedures to contacts and facilities - both for  EU students who wish to apply  for Erasmus programmes, or who are about to arrive in Milan  on an Erasmus + programme, and for professors and international relations offices from foreign universities that wish to establish a collaboration within one of the various EU programmes

To ask further informations prospective students can refer to: 


2. What courses can international students apply for?

Foreign students with appropriate school qualification can apply for all the courses offered by University of Milan. Our corses are tought in Italian (may be required Italian language examination) or in English, totally o partially (may be required English Language examination).

Undergraduate courses

  • Bachelor programmes (corsi di laurea: 3 years) and Single-Cycle Master Degree programmes (corsi di laurea magistrale a ciclo unico: 5/6 years): in Italian, in English, in Italian and English

Postgraduate courses


3. What is the application procedure for non-EU citizens who reside abroad?

Non-EU citizens resident abroad who do not have a valid Italian residence permit and intend to apply for a degree course, a non-medical specialisation school, a master or an advanced course must submit a pre-application request to the Italian Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. As for application to Medical Specialisation Schools and Doctoral Programmes consult the procedures shown in the individual competitive examination announcements. 

NB. Please remember that all non-EU students who obtain a visa for study reasons must apply for a residence permit no later than 8 days after their arrival.


4. What is the application procedure for EU citizens, non-EU citizens with a valid residence permit and Italian citizens with a secondary school diploma obtained abroad?

EU and non-EU students  with a valid residence permit (according to Law No. 189 of 30.7.2002, paragraph 26), compete for university places under the same conditions as Italian citizens.

These students do not have to take an examination to verify their knowledge of the Italian language.

The application procedure varies depending on whether they apply for courses with or without an entrance examination.


5. What documents are required to obtain the recognition of an academic qualification?

If you are a non-EU citizen resident abroad, you must provide the Italian diplomatic delegation in your country with the following documents: secondary school diploma, along with your degree diploma, both legalised by your country’s competent authorities and translated into Italian by an official translator. You must also enclose a university transcript with the list of the exams taken. A detailed programme of each exam (in Italian, English, French or German) may be required for some programmes. The Italian diplomatic delegation will issue a special document known as a “Dichiarazione di valore in loco”, and forward all the above documents to our university.

EU students, wherever they reside, and non-EU students with a valid residence permit (according to Law No. 189 of 30.7.2002, paragraph 26), can apply directly at the University, submitting the above-mentioned supporting documents.

When candidates apply to obtain the recognition of an academic qualification they are required to pay a fee of 75 euros.
For further information about application procedures, forms and deadlines, go to How to apply or contact:
International Students Office:


6. What offices should an international student contact?

You will find the addresses and opening hours of the administrative offices most frequently visited by foreign students, in contacts details section.
See also how to reach us.


7. How much does an academic year cost?

To attend the university students must pay:
• an entrance fee of 692 euros 
• a second instalment (to be paid by May), which is calculated according course type, student family’s revenue and number of family members.

For further information consult the Fees, exemptions and scholarships


8. What is a single course and how do you apply for one?

Students interested in broadening their knowledge, or graduates who must pass additional exams can attend one of the courses currently offered by the University, pass the final examinations and receive a regular certificate.

To be admitted to a single course applicants must have one of the following qualifications: a secondary school diploma, a bachelor degree, a master degree or equivalent.

The enrolment fees for a single course amount to 180 euros, reduced by 30% for every extra course.
For single courses that are part of the online course in Computer System and Network Security (Sicurezza dei sistemi e delle reti informatiche-Crema) the enrolment fees amount to 300 euros for each course, up to a maximum of 2 courses.

Foreign students who are involved in interuniversity programmes - or who are enrolled in universities with which specific agreements have been established – and holders of scholarships from the Italian government are exempted from the payment of fees, but must nevertheless pay € 75 to cover administration costs.

Further information about application to the courses currently offered.


9. What is an advanced course and how do you apply for one?

Advanced Courses are refresher/permanent training course that allows students to develop their expertise and skills in order to further improve their professional qualities. The courses vary in length, but they generally last from three to six months. They differ from masters, in that no academic qualification is awarded. At the end of an advanced course, students will receive a certificate that details the skills that have been acquired.

To be admitted  to the advanced courses you must have a bachelor degree, a master degree or a suitable equivalent foreign qualification according to the individual announcement.

Admission is also subject to the passing of a competitive examination.
Consult the list of advanced courses  (Italian text) currently offered by the University. Courses are subdivided by starting period.


10. Are there board and lodging services for students?

Our University offers a series of services  that are designed to help students during the course of their studies. 

This also applies to the refectory and accommodation services. All students enrolled in a degree or diploma programme can apply for accommodation  - their applications will be processed according to their school exam results and their parents' income - and for a refectory card that will also allow them to eat in the low-priced canteens run by the CIDiS.


11. Are there any Italian language courses for foreign students?

Our University offers a series of Italian language courses, partially managed by the CALCIF.

These include some free courses specifically organised for Erasmus students, for foreign students enrolled in the degree course in Language Mediation and Intercultural Communication at the Sesto S. Giovanni centre and for Doctoral students.

Once you are in Milan, you can perfect your knowledge of the language by applying for a course for foreigners, which are provided by the Municipality.


12. Are there any special facilities for disabled students?

Our University provides several tools for the integration, counselling and support  of all students in the university environment.

These include a service that specifically promotes the social integration of disabled students and University staff, providing them with assistance and protecting their rights.