You are here

Validation of foreign qualifications and exams  

Who validates qualifications and what is the criteria

Who to ask
Qualifications obtained abroad and exams taken at foreign universities are not automatically transferable. In order for qualifications to be valid in Italy, you must get in touch with the bodies requesting the qualifications who will provide information based on the purposes for which they are to be used.

Obtain an equivalent Italian Degree
If you wish to have your foreign academic qualifications recognized as Italian qualifications, you should contact our International Students Desk ( 

Assessment criteria
The assessment will be done on a case by case basis.

Unless there are any significant differences - the University will decide to fully validate the qualification  (and subsequently issue the equivalent Italian qualification), or validate it in part, giving the candidate the chance to sit the outstanding exams required to obtain the full equivalent Italian qualification.

In case of Bilateral agreements which establish the mutual validation of qualifications (e.g. Italy/Austria), or specific conventions, qualifications are automatically validated once all documents have been checked.  

Applying for a postgraduate course
The suitability of the qualification is checked by the competent Degree Programme Boards during the admission procedure: you are not required to present a specific request. 

All other cases
To validate qualifications for other purposes (for example, for public competitions or access to regulated professions), you must get in touch with the competent State authority.
Details on how to validate qualifications and exams are available on Cimea, the national information centre for the validation of foreign qualifications


How to

Validate your qualification

You have to submit your validation request of foreign qualifications (with stamp duty), which must include the course for which the validation is requested, from 1st March to 30th July.

In addition, if you are a non-European citizen residing abroad, you must send a university qualification request to your local Italian diplomatic mission within the terms established by ministerial regulations every year.

Validate your exams
If you have not completed your studies abroad, you can request to validate the exams you have already taken at a foreign university by filling in the form available at our International Students Desk during the enrolment period.

You must present the same supporting documents requested for the validation of a qualification (with the exception of the qualification, of course).

Cases that require a test

In order to validate a foreign qualification of a healthcare profession, there is a compulsory entry test which is structured according to the deadlines and parameters set forth in the announcements.

In order to validate a Medical degree or a degree in Surgery or Dentistry, you must pass a test which usually takes place in September. The exact date and location will be displayed on this page.

Programmes, dates and locations of the entry tests for A.Y. 2018-2019

Medical Degree Validation test
Date: not yet available
Location: not yet available
Programme: a test with 60 multiple-choice questions on internal medicine, surgery, paediatrics and gynaecology.

Dentistry Degree Validation test
Date: not yet available
Location: not yet available
Programme: not yet available

Supporting documents

You must attach a copy of the following documents to your validation request (you must also present the original copies):

  1. high school diploma
  2. university degree, its sworn translation in Italian and a Statement of validity (Dichiarazione di valore) or, alternatively, a statement of comparability issued by ENIC-NARIC centres
  3. certificate of the exams taken abroad (with relative marks, credits/hours, dates) and their sworn translation in Italian
  4. detailed programs (syllabus) of the exams taken on University's letterhead, officially translated in Italian (except for Medicine and Surgery, Dental Medicine and Law)
  5. receipt of payment of the validation fee
  6. valid identity document
  7. Italian fiscal code
  8. residence permit (ONLY for non-EU applicants)

Please note:

  • Your high school diploma, certificate and programmes (letters a, c, d) are also acceptable in French, English, German and Spanish (unless otherwise stated for a specific course).
  • The sworn translation of your qualification and the certificate of equivalence of qualification can be substituted by the Diploma Supplement  issued by Universities in countries which adhere to the European Higher Education Area (EHEA).