The Botanical Gardens annexed to the University of Milan’s Faculty of Science are an important resource for university education and research and also contribute to the environmental development of the city of Milan and the shores of Lake Garda.
In addition to the Botanical Gardens of Brera and Cascina Rosa, which are located in urban areas, the University also own the Giordano Emilio Ghirardi Botanical Garden at Toscolano Maderno.
BRERA BOTANICAL GARDEN
Established at the beginning of 1777 by Maria Teresa of Austria, the Brera Botanical Garden now has a distinctive historical character. It is home to several extremely large trees, including two huge specimens of Ginkgo Biloba that are among the oldest in Europe, dating back to the time of the garden’s foundation.
The garden has maintained its original dimensions – approximately 5,000 square metres – and has two 18th-century elliptical ponds, a canopy, a small observatory and a greenhouse of 19th century construction.
GHIRARDI BOTANICAL GARDEN
Formerly the “Mimosa” Agricultural Experimentation Station, the Ghirardi Botanical Garden was founded in 1964 by Professor Emilio Ghirardi for the study of medicinal plants from different parts of the world.
The Garden covers an area of approximately 10,000 square metres, and is located at Toscolano Maderno, near Salò, on the shores of Lake Garda. It is managed by the Department of Biology and is cultivated for educational and scientific research purposes.
CASCINA ROSA BOTANICAL GARDEN
Inaugurated on 19 September 2002, the Cascina Rosa Botanical Garden extends over an area of 25 thousand square metres. This green area represents an attempt to combine the everyday aspects of a public space with the cutting-edge qualities of research equipment that has no equal in Italy.
The greenhouses are an important feature of the Cascina Rosa Botanical Garden: one is dedicated to the winter protection of plants, while the other two, which are highly automated, allow advanced experimentation using modern molecular methods.