Elements of Human Anatomy
- Organization of the human body. Systems and organs: definition and overview of their composition and localization.
- The locomotor system.
- The digestive system. Overview of mouth, pharinx and esophagus. Morphology and structure of stomach, small and large intestine, liver and pancreas.
- The respiratory system. Overview of the airways. Morphology and structure of the lungs.
- The cardiovascular system. Morphology and structure of the heart. Blood vessel classification and structure.
- The lymphatic system. Morphofunctional characteristics of lymphatic and hematopoietic organs.
- The urinary system. Morphology and structure of the kidneys. Overview of transportation and elimination of urine.
- The endocrine system. Overview and morphofunctional characteristics of endocrine glands.
- The nervous system.
Introduction to the immune system: the cells, the lymphoid tissue, the cytokines.
Innate and acquired immunity. Elements of innate immunity. Phagocytes, complement system, barriers.
Cell mediated immune response. The development of T and B lymphocytes. Th1 and Th2 lymphocytes. Antigen recognition by T and B lymphocytes. T and B cell receptors. The development of lymphocyte repertoire. Major histocompatibility complex, functional role and diversity.
The structure of antibodies. Diversity in the humoral immune response.
Mechanism of action of the antibodies. The complement system. Autoimmunity. Tumor and immunity: a brief description.
The way of a drug from entering the body to its exit will be illustrated (Absorption, distribution, metabolism, elimination) in relation to its characteristics and those of the subjects assuming them (pharmacogenetics). Concept of dose-response, theapeutic index, descriptive pharmacokinetics.
the main knowledges on drugs mechanisms of action (pharmacodynamics), possible targets and drug-drug interactions.
Some examples of drug use in specific diseases will be discussed as an example.
Saladin, Anatomia Umana, Ed. Piccin, 2011
McKinley, O'Loughlin, Anatomia umana, Ed. Piccin, 2014
Martini, Timmons, Tallitsch, Anatomia Umana, EdiSES 2004
Ambrosi et al., Anatomia dell'Uomo, edi-ermes, 2008
Panerai, Farmacologia generale, Raffaello Cortina editore
AK Abbas e AH Lichtman, Immunologia di base or (same authors) Fondamenti di immunologia, Elsevier
1. Oral and/or written (see below)
2. Further details if needed will be given during the course or published on Ariel
Cytology, histology, general physiology, biochemistry
Teaching: frontal lessons and seminars on specific topics
Power point presentations
Other informations and didactic material
Human anatomy: Ariel Anatomia umana name of teacher
Pharmacology: Ariel: http: //apaneraif.ariel.ctu.unimi.it/
Immunology: Ariel: http://users.unimi.it/minucci/didattica.htm