(1° semester) - Luigi Lay ; 5 credits
1. Safety and accident prevention in the chemical laboratory,
2. Main techniques of isolation and purification of organic compounds (extraction, crystallisation, simple distillation, fractional distillation, chromatography),
3. Introduction to IR spectroscopy,
4. Experimental aspects of some fundamental organic reactions, evaluation of the purity grade of the obtained products through TLC and mp.
5. Lab experiments will be selected in order to further consolidate experimentally the arguments of the theoritcal lessons.
2° semester - Maurizio Benaglia; 5 credits
Selected examples of chemical transformations and functional groups conversions are presented, including reactions related to aromatic chemistry: the synthesis of an aromatic amide, an example of aromatic heterocycle synthesis, a reaction sequence on an aromatic ring, the use of diazonium salt in the preparation of an indicator, a phase transfer-catalyzed transformation, an oxidation reaction.
Finally the determination of an unknown carbonyl compound, the separation of a mixture of two unknown compounds, their recognition and preparation of their suitable derivatives are the topics of the last week of work in lab.
The characterization of the products will be accomplished by melting point, IR spectroscopy and, if the case, with chiral product by measurement of the optical rotatory power.
The common purification techniques for organic compounds are employed: crystallization, acid/base separation, distillation under vacuum, chromatographic separation on a silica gel column.
M.D. Ischia: La Chimica Organica in Laboratorio, Piccin, Padova, 2002