The aim of the present course is to introduce the student to the main experimental procedures in Organic Chemistry. In order to pursue this goal, the experimental work will be developed individually by any student. Particular care will be devoted to safety rules. The student will learn the main techniques for the isolation and purification of organic compounds. The student will be also introduced to some basic organic reactions, and he/she will learn some procedures for the characterization of the obtained compounds, such as the measurement of the melting point and spectroscopic analysis (IR and NMR).
The student will be able to:
Reproduce the fundamental operations in organic chemistry lab:
Filtration, phase separation, crdue reaction mixture isolation, acid and basic work up, TLC analysis, purification through cristallization, distillation or column chromatography.
1. Safety and accident prevention in the chemical laboratory
2. Main techniques of isolation and purification of organic compounds (extraction, crystallisation, simple and fractional distillation, chromatography)
3. Introduction to IR spectroscopy
4. Experimental aspects of some fundamental organic reactions (oxidations, reductions, condensations, nucleophilic substitutions, Fischer synthesis), evaluation of the purity grade of the obtained products through TLC and melting point measurement
5. The experimental activities developed in the organic chemistry laboratory are aimed at applying the topics discussed in classroom.
Basic knowledge of organic chemistry
Slides on course website
Practical (an additional oral assessment is possible upon request of the student). The evaluation will consider both the experimental activities developed individually by any student and the final test, with the aim to verify the skills acquired by the student and his/her ability to work with confidence in a laboratory of Organic Chemistry, and in compliance with the safety rules. On the basis of the content of the written reports (prepared by the student and describing each experimental activity), the oral assessment will be about the different subjects presented during the course.
Language of instruction
Mode of teaching: