Food quality and safety

A.Y. 2018/2019
8
Max ECTS
64
Overall hours
SSD
AGR/15 AGR/16
Language
Italian
Learning objectives
Knowledge of the terms related to quality, risk, traceability, and management, and of the related mandatory and voluntary normative references. Application of tools and techniques for risk assessment, risk management, process, product and system verification. Students will learn to build a control plan to guarantee the quality and safety of food. Case-studies will be analyzed.Knowledge of the terms related to quality, risk, traceability, and management, and of the related mandatory and voluntary normative references. Application of tools and techniques for risk assessment, risk management, process, product and system verification. Students will learn to build a control plan to guarantee the quality and safety of food. Case-studies will be analyzed.
Expected learning outcomes
Skills: Mapping food processes, food supply-chain, and food lots by flow-sheets; identification of critical control points; verification planning (monitoring, review and validation). Prevention and control of microorganism growth during food process and distribution. Elaboration and review of sampling plans.Skills: Mapping food processes, food supply-chain, and food lots by flow-sheets; identification of critical control points; verification planning (monitoring, review and validation). Prevention and control of microorganism growth during food process and distribution. Elaboration and review of sampling plans.
Course syllabus and organization

Single session

Responsible
Lesson period
First semester
Quality management
Course syllabus
1. Terms and definitions Food quality: analytical and dynamic models. Food safety and risk chain. Traceability in agrofood industries and in agricultural food chain. Management systems: the PDCA model of Deming. 2. Certification in the food system The evolution of quality management: from product verification to integrated management systems. A framework for certification: general principles, normative references and organizations involved. 3. Quality management systems Introduction to UNI EN ISO 9001. Case study analysis: management responsibility, strategic and operative objectives, provision of resource, planning and realization of product, verification, validation, system review and improvement, documentation. 4. Agricultural food chain traceability systems Introduction to UNI EN ISO 22005. RF and RFP schemes. Case study analysis: relevant steps for product identification, traceability procedures, simulation of withdrawal of lots of end products. 5. Tools and techniques Flow-sheets for supply-chain, process, and lot mapping. Lay-out. Risk analysis. Check lists. Class room lectures account for 60% of the teaching, and discussions on case studies with students account for the remaining 40%.
Teaching methods
- Peri, C.; Lavelli, V.; Marjani, A. Qualità nelle aziende e nelle filiere agro-alimentari, 2004. Hoepli, Milano - Additional documents (in English) available in Ariel
Hygienic safety
Course syllabus
The concept of Quality in food factories and microbiological critery. GMP and GHP (prerequisit operativi) HACCP system and writting of Autocontrol Plain: casies study.Risk analisys, (assessment, management and comunication) and definition of FSO (Food Safety Objectives). Sampling plain (two or three classes). Microbiological criteria (ingiuntive and mandatary criteria). Italian and European legislation
Teaching methods
Slides of lessons
Hygienic safety
AGR/16 - AGRICULTURAL MICROBIOLOGY - University credits: 4
Lessons: 32 hours
Professor: Franzetti Laura
Quality management
AGR/15 - FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY - University credits: 4
Lessons: 32 hours
Professor(s)
Reception:
appointment by phone
via Mangiagalli, 25 (floor IV room 4021)
Reception:
Thursday 16.30-17.30. Please, contact me in advance by e-mail
DeFENS-Sezione Tecnologie Alimentari