Food Service Science and Management
The degree programme in Food Services Management and Human Nutrition is designed to equip graduates with the specific knowledge and professional skills required to meet the requirements of firms and organisations operating in the catering sphere.
Graduates develop knowledge and skills in:
- the produce and food product preparation, conservation and distribution processes employed by catering companies;
- catering service quality and security;
- the planning of meals and diets on the basis of consumers' nutritional requirements the design of catering systems and facilities;
- economic management and marketing for catering firms and services;
- inspection, planning and control procedures for catering services in public administrations the physico-chemical, nutritional, sensorial, microbiological and entomological analysis of produce and food preparation;
- the development of diagnostic tests for food quality and safety;
- surveys relating to the consumption and food hygiene of populations and specific segments of the population;
- historic, motivational, sociological and psychological surveys in relation to consumption trends and food preferences;
- publishing and the diffusion of technical and scientific information in relation to food;
- legislative and promotional procedures for typical gastronomic products and "Mediterranean diet" models.
Graduates in Food Services Management and Human Nutrition can pursue career opportunities in the production sector, public administration and research institutes.
By way of example, graduates can pursue careers in:
- production management and quality control in catering and banqueting companies;
- development, innovation and research activities in the sphere of company quality;
- the training and recruitment of group and commercial catering personnel;
- the certification of self-monitoring systems and processes in group catering;
- assistance with the management of bid proposals in the field of group catering;
- the management and monitoring of food product supplies and testing in large-scale retail;
- the development of products and processes in the catering sector.
Application and admission: Limited enrolment with admission test.
Students must have level B1 proficiency in English. Proficiency may be certified at the time of matriculation by submitting a certificate of level B1 language proficiency or better, or by sitting the SLAM (University Language Centre) Placement test during the first year of studies only, between September and December.
Students who do not pass the test must follow the SLAM language courses and obtain appropriate certification within the year the plan of study calls for a language exam.
If you are enrolled on this degree programme, you can spend study and internship periods abroad. This is a unique opportunity to enrich your curriculum in an international context. The University is a member of the European Erasmus+ programme. Our partner universities are located mainly in France, Germany, Norway, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.
Moreover, the Erasmus+ Placement programme allows you to carry out an internship abroad at research centres, institutions and laboratories.
For more information https://www.unimi.it/it/internazionale/studiare-allestero/partire-con-erasmus
Recommended, not mandatory
For students enrolled on bachelor’s, master’s and single cycle degree programmes are divided into two instalments of different amounts and with different payment deadlines:
- the first, corresponding to the minimum amount, is the same for all students
- the second - technically referred to as an ‘all-inclusive fee’- that is variable.
Students can also be entitled for tuition fee reductions such as:
- lowering for students who meet high merit requirements
- fixed amounts calculated on the basis of the student's citizenship group for those with income/property abroad
- support for students who have political refugee status.
More info at: Fees - current academic year
Scholarships and benefits
L’Ateneo fornisce inoltre una serie di agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali) come:
Admission, ranking and enrolment