Social Sciences for Globalisation
The aim of the study programme is to provide a set of knowledge (sociological, political, anthropological, economic, historical and linguistic) and statistic-methodological tools in order to develop the ability to analyze the phenomena of global interdependency and to design/implement policies for social development at both international and local level (national and sub-national).
The training provided is multidisciplinary, but it pays particular attention to the social and political aspects of globalization and their consequences, which are sometimes considered to be of lesser importance than economic and financial phenomena.
The objective of the course is to provide a versatile, multidisciplinary training in order to produce graduates with independent critical thinking skills and the ability to understand and analyse the globalisation process in its various social, political, economic and cultural aspects who are motivated to work in the fields of international development and social policy.
The degree in Social Sciences for Globalisation therefore aims to produce qualified professionals who can make autonomous diagnoses and identify and implement the required actions according to strategies designed by higher level management in complex organisational contexts, public or private.
Graduates can find career opportunities in:
- companies operating abroad or employing overseas staff which need to develop territorial analyses and interventional strategies regarding all the principle stakeholders;
- local and international institutions which support groups or populations in need of assistance both at home and abroad. The most common are study and project groups;
- NGOs, EU organisations and associations which require individuals skilled in the management of complex, potentially conflictual, situations in the fields of multiethnic and intercultural relations, support for cooperation, public and private international aid projects and exchanges between rich and poor countries in general;
- the local public sector, third sector organisations, education and research institutions, as well as trade unions and associations which participate in social and economic decision making at a local level;
- companies and associations which organise and manage fair trade or sustainable development projects and permanent or temporary settlement projects within the context of local development.
Employment statistics (Almalaurea)
Application and admission: Limited enrolment with admission test.
Access is subject to passing a test (TOLC-E, CISIA OnLine Test, www.cisiaonline.it) which will give rise to a merit ranking.
Additional learning obligations (OFA)
Students who do not pass the entrance examination on basic general knowledge, comprehension, maths and logic, are assigned additional learning obligations (OFA, Obblighi formativi aggiuntivi) that they must fulfil in accordance with the provisions of the Programme Structure.
OFA: English language
To be able to sit the English language exam included in the study plan, students must have level B2 proficiency in English.
Proficiency may be certified at the time of matriculation by submitting a certificate of level B2 language proficiency or better, or by sitting the SLAM (University Language Centre) Placement test during the first year of studies only, between September and December.
Students who do not pass the test must follow the SLAM language courses and obtain appropriate certification within the year the plan of study calls for a language exam.
Highly recommended, not mandatory
For students enrolled on bachelor’s, master’s and single cycle degree programmes are divided into two instalments of different amounts and with different payment deadlines:
- the first, corresponding to the minimum amount, is the same for all students
- the second - technically referred to as an ‘all-inclusive fee’- that is variable.
Students can also be entitled for tuition fee reductions such as:
- lowering for students who meet high merit requirements
- fixed amounts calculated on the basis of the student's citizenship group for those with income/property abroad
- support for students who have political refugee status.
More info at: Fees - current academic year
Scholarships and benefits
L’Ateneo fornisce inoltre una serie di agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali) come: