The Master program in Sustainable Development (LL.M. in Sustainable Development) aims at improving the legal skills necessary to better grasp the three interconnected dimensions (economic, social and environmental) of sustainable development. The two-year Program, entirely taught in English, allows students to obtain advanced legal and interdisciplinary training and knowledge of local, international and transnational trends and strategies for sustainable development. The Program’s unusually rich course offering includes advanced courses in different legal areas, such as: International Law, European Union Law, Environmental Law, Administrative Law, Constitutional Law, Human Rights Law, Philosophy of Law, Private Law, Comparative Law, Corporate Law, Trade Law, Investment Law, Labour Law, Transport Law, Agriculture Law, Financial Law, Refugee Law, as well as courses in relevant economic and sociological disciplines, such as: Sociology, Economic Geography, Economics, Economy Policy and Social Justice, Economic History.
The LL.M. in Sustainable Development aims at training legal experts, with a comprehensive background in the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development. Our graduates acquire the necessary skills to elaborate, support and assess sustainable legal and economic policies and strategies in both the Public and Private Sectors. With regard to the Public Sector, the Program aims at training legal experts able to integrate social, economic and environmental concerns in the central and local Public Administration’s policies in key areas such as: telecommunication, new technologies, water, sanitation, health, electric power and gas, transportation, infrastructure, agriculture, green public procurement. As regards the Private Sector, the LL.M.
Program aims at training ethically oriented corporate legal experts and business operators, able to play a key role in monitoring, tracking, aligning and integrating social and environmental impacts in the business sector, in order to help companies to meet their corporate responsibility and sustainability goals. The Program aims at training environmental and sustainability managers and consultants and experts in management and audit of Public Administration and private companies.
Application and admission: free, subject to entry requirements
- Applicants with an Italian degree (ex. DM 270/04 or equivalent ex. DM 509/99) from one of the following classes: Scienze dei servizi giuridici (L-14), Scienze dell’amministrazione e dell’organizzazione (L-16), Scienze dell’economia e della gestione aziendale (L-18), Scienze economiche (L-33), Scienze politiche e delle relazioni internazionali (L-36), Scienze sociali per la cooperazione, lo sviluppo e la pace (L-37) or a foreign Degree (180-300-360 ECTS) in Law, Economics, Political Science, International Relations.
- Candidates holding Italian and foreign Degrees in other fields will be admitted on a case-by- case evaluation of their curriculum vitae et studiorum and motivation letter. If admitted, they will be mandatorily required to integrate their basic knowledge in subjects taught, through compulsory readings to be completed before the beginning of the Program.
- Students part-time are admitted on a case-by-case evaluation.
Applicants whose native language is not English or who do not hold a Degree fully taught in English, must demonstrate English language proficiency by passing one of the following:
- IELTS: we require a IELTS minimum overall score of 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the reading, writing, listening and speaking components.
- TOEFL: If the IELTS is not available, students may take the TOEFL test. We require a minimum overall score of 100, with a minimum of 25 in each of the reading, writing, listening and speaking components.
Internship and training programme
Internships and trainings are integral part of the Program. Subject to their practical feasibility and consistency with the study program, the LL.M offers preferential access to internships and trainings at local administrations, non-profit and civil society associations (NGOs and charities), international organizations operating in the field of development cooperation, law firms, trade unions, private companies, professional associations, foundations, banks and cooperatives.
Queen Mary University of London: Following the successful completion of the first year of the LL.M. in Sustainable Development, students may be granted admission to one of the LL.M. programmes offered by Queen Mary University of London (QMUL). Upon successful completion of the two programmes, students will be awarded both the UNIMI and the QMUL Masters’ degrees.
Instituto Internacional de Sociología Jiurídica de Oñati - Universidad del País Vasco: after attending the first year of the LL.M. in Sustainable Development, students may be granted admission to the one-year International Master in Sociology of Law of Instituto Internacional de Sociología Jiurídica de Oñati - Universidad Del País Vasco. Students successfully completing their 4 Double Degree Programme studies will obtain the two degrees, issued respectively by the two institutions.
Compulsory (at least 70% of classes' attendance)
For students enrolled on bachelor’s, master’s and single cycle degree programmes are divided into two instalments of different amounts and with different payment deadlines:
- the first, corresponding to the minimum amount, is the same for all students
- the second - technically referred to as an ‘all-inclusive fee’- that is variable.
Students can also be entitled for tuition fee reductions such as:
- lowering for students who meet high merit requirements
- fixed amounts calculated on the basis of the student's citizenship group for those with income/property abroad
- support for students who have political refugee status.
More info at: Fees - current academic year
Scholarships and benefits
L’Ateneo fornisce inoltre una serie di agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali) come:
Admission, ranking and enrolment