Exchange/extra-EU – Incoming students

Students from abroad

To participate in a mobility period at the University of Milan, you must apply through your university.

Candidates are required to speak and understand Italian or English.

Below is a brief checklist for students who are selected for a study period at the University of Milan.

  1. Be sure that you or your university has sent the following to the International Relations Office, University of Milan:
    • copy of passport,
    • Transcript of Records,
    • CV or résumé,
    • Letter of motivation,
    • draft of your Learning Agreement, (when it has been received the office will send you a letter of acceptance). Documents should be send by 31 May for mobility during the first semester or for the entire academic year, and by 31 October for mobility during the second semester.
  2. Request a student visa and tax code from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in the country where you are a resident, presenting the acceptance letter that you received from the International Relations Office of the University of Milan. The student visa is needed when applying for a residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) in Italy.
  3. Send a copy of your student visa and tax code to the International Relations Office of the University of Milan.

Within 8 days from your arrival in Milan, go to the International Relations Office of the University of Milan to:

  • complete the enrolment procedure, by presenting:
    • copy of passport,
    • medical insurance,
    • third party liability insurance,
    • accident insurance certificate (valid abroad).
      If you do not have third party liability and accident insurance, you can acquire them through the University of Milan for €15.50.
  • request a student residence permit, by presenting the following:
    • request form found in the kit for student residence permits, which is available at any post office;
    • duty stamp for €16 (sold in tobacco shops);
    • passport;
    • medical insurance;
    • student acceptance letter from the University of Milan;
    • student visa.
  • Register online for the courses you have chosen – based on the study plan indicated in your Learning Agreement -  by logging into the Unimia platform with the access codes that you receive at the moment of enrolment. Eventual modifications to the Learning Agreement must be approved by both the coordinator of your university and your contact person at the University of Milan. 
  • You can attend Italian language courses for Erasmus+ students, after taking the placement test to indicate your current level of Italian. 
Pick up your Transcript of Records at the International Relations Office, which lists exam results and the credits that you have acquired.