Patents and technologies
The University of Milan filed its first patent application in 1992, for a chemical-pharmaceutical design by Marco Pallavicini, Luigi Villa, Ermanno Valoti and Oreste Piccolo. Since then, around 300 patents have been filed as a result of research projects carried out by our teachers and researchers, also in collaboration with other universities, institutions or companies.
The University is the exclusive owner or co-owner of 81% of these patents; the remaining 19% comes from projects funded by national and international companies.
A breakdown of our patent portfolio by application area shows a higher share of inventions related to the health sector (40% of the total), followed by chemistry and biology (22% and 21%, respectively).
This data reflects the original medical vocation of the University, which has eight clinical Departments (generating 19% of patents), in addition to the two Departments of Pharmacy and Pharmacology (15% of patents). The academic field that generated the largest number of patents is Chemistry (27%), with the Agricultural and Food Sciences Departments also standing out (16%).
Active patents are mostly exploited through sales (34%) or licences (48%). The patent portfolio lists the patents available for licensing agreements, pending an industrial partner for commercial development. Non-patentable technologies available for transfer agreements are also included.
Consult the patent portfolio and write to email@example.com for more information on available technologies and patents or for regular updates on innovations in any sector.