How to enrol on a Bachelor's or a single cycle degree programme
Each year, between February and July, the University of Milan publishes calls to apply for admission to bachelor's and single cycle degree programmes. These calls for application report the procedure for enrolment (matriculation) on the first year of studies, as well as:
- admission requirements
- dates, programmes, procedures and locations for evaluation tests and entrance examinations
- number of places available for programmes with limited enrolment
- instructions for candidates with disabilities or SLD
- information on rankings
- enrolment procedures
All students must sit an admissions test prior to enrolment, irrespective of whether the degree programme has open or limited enrolment.
The procedures for registering for entrance examinations and evaluation tests differ from one degree programme to another.
For the degree programmes in Medicine and Surgery, Dental Medicine and Veterinary Medicine:
- register on the Universitaly website
- register on the University of Milan portal, only if you have selected this university as your first choice
- register for the entrance examination
For the International Medical School:
- follow all the admissions procedures on the Universitaly website only.
For all other programmes:
- register on the portal
- access the email account indicated during registration and activate the credentials you received (username and password)
- register for the entrance examination.
Before you start, make sure you have the following to hand:
- Your registration credentials (or University access credentials if you have previously studied at this university);
- Your Italian tax identification number (international students will be assigned an identification code);
- A valid identity document (passport - driving license - ID card)
- The exact name of the programme for which you wish to sit the entrance examination or evaluation test
- Your credit card (if you wish to use this method of payment); if you prefer to make a MAV payment, you must print out or save the form generated by the system during the online admission procedure.
Payment of the enrolment fee
When registering for the entrance examination or evaluation test you will be requested - where applicable - to pay a registration fee that may vary from one degree programme to another.
You can pay by credit card or using the bank MAV form. If you have chosen to pay by credit card, payment will be confirmed immediately.
If you have chosen to make a MAV payment - if you are resident abroad remember that MAV payments can only be made in Italy - pay by the deadline indicated on the payment form and keep the receipt. Confirmation of payment is sent by e-mail, and enrolment is confirmed the moment the Student registry receives the payment (within 5 days). Payment for the TOLC test is made from the Cisia website during the registration procedure.
Confirmation of enrolment
At the end of the admission procedure save or print-out the receipt, which also reports the date and time of the entrance examination or evaluation test. The receipt is also sent immediately by email and, if you have chosen to pay by credit card, you will also receive the confirmation of payment. If you have instead chosen to make a MAV payment, you can print out the receipt and the payment form at the end of the procedure. If the selected programme requires that you sit the TOLC test you will receive your test registration receipt from CISIA at the end of the enrolment procedure.
- Prepare for the entrance examination or evaluation test.
Note that the exam programme is reported in the call for applications and that you can practice or check your preparation through simulations.
- Check the date, hour and location of the entrance examination or evaluation test. These are indicated both on the receipt printed out at the end of the registration procedure (which you will also receive by email), and in the individual calls for application. If you select a programme with a TOLC admissions test, you will receive information from Cisia.
- Make sure you arrive on time for the test, and bring your payment receipt as well as a valid identity document.
The date of publication of rankings is indicated in the individual calls for application or will be notified on the day of the test.
Open admissions programmes
If you sat the evaluation test, check online for results and enrol irrespective of your results.
Programmes with limited enrolment
- If you passed the examination and are therefore a successful candidate, you may enrol by the indicated deadline.
- If you are placed too low in the ranking for enrolment, periodically check for the reopening of rankings, as you may still be able to enrol. Places freed up by those who do not enrol are offered to the next candidates on the ranking list.
The results of Medicine and Surgery, Dental Medicine and Veterinary Medicine entrance examinations
- to protect anonymity in compliance with privacy laws and until the completion of procedures, only the exam scores and the relative barcodes are published on the MIUR portal.
- on the Universitaly portal candidates can view their exams, check scores and their personal details and see the ranking list in the area reserved for students.
If you have passed the admission examination or sat the evaluation test, you may complete the online enrolment procedure without having to deliver anything to the student secretariat.
During the procedure, candidates with qualifications awarded abroad must book an appointment to deliver the documents required to complete enrolment.
Spring selections: enrolment reservation and confirmation
Admission to some degree programmes is subject to spring selections. Terms and deadlines are specified in the calls for admissions. After the publication of the ranking list, winners of the spring selections can reserve their enrolment within the deadlines provided for by the call for admissions, following the standard enrolment procedure and paying € 156 for the first instalment of university fees.
They will later confirm their choice through the online enrolment confirmation procedure, according to the timeline set out by the call for admissions.
Before you start, make sure you have the following to hand
- Italian tax identification number (codice fiscale). Note: international students must request and obtain it prior to enrolment.
- passport photo (the only kind of photo allowed), saved as a JPG, PNG, BMP file (max 2 MB).
- scanned copy of your identity document (front and back) saved as a JPG, PNG, BMP file (max 2 MB).
- your registration credentials (or University access credentials if you have previously studied at this University)
- details of your upper secondary school diploma: year, mark, academic institution
- Your credit card (if you wish to use this method of payment). If you prefer to make a MAV payment, you must print out or save the form generated by the system during the online procedure.
At the end of the procedure save or print-out the receipt: this is proof that you have enrolled correctly. The receipt consists of several pages:
- the first is a summary the data you provided
- the second is very important and should be kept safely, as it contains your student number, your new student credentials (which will be active the day after your enrolment), your PIN (to be kept safely because you will need it if you lose your password) and the details of your new University email account, to which all official communications from the University will be sent
- the third is the MAV (if you have chosen this method of payment), which you must pay by the deadline indicated on the form.
If you have forgotten your new student credentials, but wish to check that you have completed enrolment correctly and print out the receipt, you can still access the enrolment service using your registration credentials.
How to make MAV payments
Payments by MAV can be made in any bank or ATM in Italy, online, or through Banca 5 ITB at any tobacconist offering this service.
It is important that you make the payment by the indicated deadline and keep the receipt.
Late payments will be subject to a late-payment charge applied to the second instalment.
- If you make a MAV payment, enrolment is confirmed by e-mail the moment the Student secretariat receives the payment, normally within 5 days.
- If you pay by credit card and the transaction is approved, enrolment is confirmed immediately and you are sent an e-mail confirmation along with the payment receipt.