The main objective of the course is to emphasize the importance of scale-up methodology for the unit operations in chemical plants (reaction and separation processes), to give the theoretical basis for a correct approach to a scaling-up and to introduce the simulation science and the process simulation. The correct theoretical and experimental approaches of this kind of study will be presented and discussed; different industrial examples will be considered. Moreover, devoted software (PRO II) available to industrial chemists and engineers for the scaling-up operations will be presented and used in the course.
The course will be devoted to a specific introduction of the scaling-up methodology for chemical processes from a chemical and an engineering point of view. Both chemical reactions and separation processes will be taken into account. More in detail, the following topics will be explained and discussed:
- Scaling-up of a chemical operation: meaning and importance
- Laboratories and pilot-plant studies
- Models for the interpretation of experimental data and simulation of a chemical unit operations: steady-state and dynamic models
- Physical and chemicals models
- Pilot plants: raw materials, mock-ups, degree of freedom, constructive materials, test program and use of results
- Experimental techniques in scaling-up methodology
- Applications to industrial process development: industrial examples and case-histories
- Control technology in chemical processes
- Environmental and regulatory issues
- Use of simulation softwares in the scaling-up: PRO II. Tutorial of these programs and their use for several aspects involved in the topics of the course.
Physical chemistry industrial, Chemical plants with lab, Physical chemistry I
- A. C. Dimian, C. S. Bildea, A. A. Kiss: Integrated Design and Simulation of Chemical Processes", 2nd Edition, Elsevier (available in our Biblioteca di Chimica)
- V. Ragaini, C. Pirola, "Processi di Separazione nell'Industria Chimica", Hoepli
- The properties of Gases and Liquids Autori: B. Poling; J. 'O Connell; J. Prausnitz. McGraw-Hill 2004
- Scale-up Methodology for Chemical Process. Autori: J. B. Euzen, P. Trambouze, J. P. Wauquier, Edition Technip.
- All necessary materials will be made available during the course
Oral examination: All the topics considered in the course will be discussed in a oral examination. Theoretical questions and/or practical exercises using the simulation software will be requested.
Type of course
Altre informazioni: During the course, a visit in the Radici plant in Novara will be proposed and organized.