The master degree aim is to present provision of training program in risk assessment based on common European criteria, easily adoptable by institutions across Europe and focusing on Risk Assessment methodology and procedure.
The training provides students with a multidisciplinary background sufficient to initiate research on the novel, necessary methodologies to be applied in the field of risk assessment.
As mentioned in the program of activity of ECHA "In the evaluation of dossiers ECHA produces scientific judgments. These judgments must be based on scientific principles accurate and require well-trained and competent. A number of scientific disciplines, such as toxicology, chemistry, epidemiology, occupational hygiene, environmental fate and effects on the environment, exposure assessment and characterization and risk management, must come to comprehensive evaluation results from the scientific point of view."
It is obvious that the professionals capable of an integrated assessment must be prepared in all the listed areas: at the moment, in Italy, no course is available (and very few are available in Europe) offering such a wide and targeted preparation.
The proposal aims to provide the methodological background, knowledge and skills necessary to apply current methodologies and generate novel protocols, to acquire competence in problem-solving, to assess risks arising from production and use of chemicals and biotechnological products, with particular attention to the implementation of European Regulations through the integrated development of different areas including legislation, chemistry, toxicology and pharmacology, biotechnology, economics and risk analysis.
The graduates will have specific expertise in the areas of:
- Community law and national legislation on chemicals, risk and safety
- Toxic and eco-toxic properties of chemicals and biotechnological products
- Methods and procedures for the characterization of chemical substances and biotechnological products
- Computational Techniques for the estimation of the chemical and toxicological properties of substances
- Procedures for registration of chemicals under various European directives
- Evaluation of risks inherent to the production and use of chemicals and biotechnological products
- Evaluation of new materials toxicants? Such as those produced by nanotechnologies and new evolutionary processes
- Strategies of synthesis and production of alternatives to the toxic and / or eco-friendly
- Basis on risk perception and risk communication
Career and Employment
The professional profiles generated will be employed by:
- public administration for the control, implementation and management of human health and environmental protection
- Industry Associations (Food, Cosmetics, Pharma, Chemicals)
- Pharma Companies in the sector of drug development
- Biotech Companies
- Contract Research Organization for the drug toxicity testing
- Food and Chemical Companies in Quality Control divisions
- Bioremediation Companies
- Innovative energy plants
- Public and Private Companies for the implementation and application of appropriate RA procedures
- Private sectors as consultants for RA of chemicals, food contaminants, water and air pollutants.
- Public and Private Research Institutions
- Universities and secondary schools