Unità didattiche A and B:
Seamus Heaney, Sweeney Astray, https://www-proquest-com.pros.lib.unimi.it/docview/2147690146/Z20055943…
a selection of poems will also be available on the course website.
Marlene Creates, A Virtual Walk of The Boreal Poetry Garden; internet project at http://marlenecreates.ca/virtualwalk/aerialphoto.html
Sumana Roy, How I became a Tree, Aleph Book Co.
Richard Powers, The Overstory, W.W. Norton & Co.
James Cameron, Avatar, Disney.
Critical bibliography (the items marked with * are for non-attending students only)
Paul Poplawsky. From English Literature in Context, Cambridge U.P., Chapter 7.
*Timothy Clark. The value of ecocriticism. Cambridge U.P. (Available online on the Digital Lybrary)
Seamus Heaney "The God in the Tree", in Preoccupations, biblioteca di Lingue.
*Stephen Regan. "Seamus Heaney and the Making of 'Sweeney Astray.'" Hungarian Journal of English and American Studies (HJEAS), vol. 21, no. 2, 2015, pp. 317-339. (Online on Jstor.org)
From: Carmen Concilio and Daniela Fargione, from: Trees in Literatures and the Arts, chapters: § *Introduction, § 7, § 16, § 17.
Interviews in https://sumanaroy.co.in/
*Cynthia Erb. "A Spiritual Blockbuster: Avatar, Environmentalism, and the New Religions" in Journal of Film and Video, Vol. 66, No. 3 (Fall 2014), pp. 3-17.
Lupi e cani sulla scena letteraria
Wolves and Dogs on the Literary Stage
- Jack Zipes, The Trials and Tribulations of Little Red Riding Hood, a selection of tales and poems [Anglistica library].
- Angela Carter, from The Bloody Chamber, 1979, the following tales: "The Werewolf"; "The Company of Wolves"; "Wolf Alice". The Vintage edition is recommended (introduction by Helen Simpson).
- Philip Armstrong, "Litter", in Among Animals: The Lives of Animals and Humans in Contemporary Short Fiction. Edited by John Yunker, 2014 [Anglistica Library]. This short story will provide an occasion for a class debate.
- Jack Zipes, "Prologue" and "Introduction" to The Trials and Tribulations of Little Red Riding Hood, Routledge, pp. 1-90 [Anglistica library].
- Angela Carter's biography, in Unimi Database > Banche dati > Literature Online > Opere di riferimento > Carter Angela, 1940-1992, Author Page.
- An Interview with Angela Carter: "The Company of Angela Carter", Marxism Today, January 1985, pp. 20-22. https://www.angelacarter.co.uk/interview-for-marxism-todays-left-alive/
- Raymond, Midge. "An interview with Among Animals contributor Philip Armstrong ("Litter")." 27 March 2014: https://www.ashlandcreekpress.com/blog/2014/03/27/an-interview-with-amo…
NON-ATTENDING STUDENTS will also study a good textbook of Narratology in order to be able to apply the main categories of the discipline to the literary texts in the syllabus.
- Manfred Jahn, Narratology 2.2: A Guide to the Theory of Narrative, 2021 [Free online]
- Hermann Grosser, Narrativa. Manuale/Antologia, Milano, Principato, 1985 [Anglistica Library]