Prerequisites for admission
No preliminary knowledge is required to attend the course/take the exam.
Readings for attending students.
· Greve, B. (2014), Welfare and the welfare state, London, Routlegde
chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7
· Esping-Andersen, G. (1990), The three worlds of welfare capitalism, New York, Polity.
· Ferrera, M (1996), The 'Southern Model' of Welfare in Social Europe, in Journal of
European Social Policy, 6.
· Ferrera, M. (2008), The European Welfare State: From Golden Achievements to Silver
Prospects, in "West European Politics", 31:1-2, pp. 81-106 .
· Myles, J. and J. Quadagno (2002), Political Theories of the Welfare State, in Social Service
Review March 2002.
· Bonoli, G. (2005), 'The Politics of the New Social Policies: providing coverage against new
social risks in mature welfare state' Policy & Politics, vol. 33 (3), pp. 431-49.
Social assistance and minimum income
· Natili, M. (2018) Words of last-resort safety nets? A typology proposal of minimum income schemes in Europe, in Journal of International and Comparative Social Policy.
· Natili, M. (2019) 'The politics of minimum income.' Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan Chapters 2 & 6
Social investment and childcare
· Morgan, K., (2011), Promoting social investment through work-family policies: which nations do it and why?. In, Morel, N., Palier, B., & Joakim, P. Towards a Social Investment Welfare State? Bristol: Bristol University Press.
· Lewis, J., (2009), Work-Life Balance Policies: Comparisons and Issues, in Work-Family Balance, Gender and Policy, in (eds. by) Lewis, J., Edward Elgar Cheltenham, UK, Northampton, MA, USA, Chapter 3.
Latin America, Eastern Europe and East Asia
· Haggard, S, and R. Kaufmann (2008), Development, democracy and welfare states, Princeton, Princeton University Press, Introduction: toward a political economy of social policy.
· Garay, C. (2016), Social Policy expansion in Latin America, New York, Cambridge University Press, chapter 1.
Readings for non attending students.
Greve, B. (2014), Welfare and the Welfare State. Present and Future, London, Routledge.
Hemerijck, A. (2013) Changing Welfare States, Oxford: Oxford University Press.