Services for students with Specific Learning Disabilities (SLD)
Si comunica che l’Ufficio Servizi per studenti con DSA rimarrà chiuso dal 1 agosto al 16 agosto per il periodo di pausa estiva, saranno quindi sospesi tutti i servizi ed il ricevimento telefonico. Tutte le richieste via mail saranno evase a partire da lunedì 17 agosto. In tale data riprenderà anche il ricevimento telefonico.
Remote working is active
Pursuant to the Prime Minister's Decree of 8 March 2020 and Coronavirus: urgent measures for the university community, front-desk activity and the office Lab are closed until 3 April.
The Office is still active and all the activities have been replaced by electronic means of contact (telephone interviews, Skype, email, remote tutoring)
In case of problems and / or requests for support, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will reply as soon as possible.
Support in taking exams
At this time of emergency, during which all exams are currently held remotely, it’s possible to arrange for special examination procedures. Students must submit their request sending an e-mail (10 days before exam) to the professor of the course and to our office: email@example.com (in carbon copy).
Considering the subject of study and the certified difficulties of the student, our office will give all the information about personalized support, compensatory tools and dispensatory measures in accordance with the teacher.
Following, the suggested measures:
- Partial exams: in this case request must be invoiced in advance to the professor, possibly at the beginning of the course
- Conceptual maps. To be used during examination, they shall be sent by e-mail at least 10 days before exam and then approved by teachers.
- Written conversion of an oral exam: it is allowed if in accordance with specific proven certification (this request must be shared beforehand with the office)
- Additional time (up to 30%)
- Partial exams (as previously indicated)
- Conceptual map. To be used during examination, they shall be sent by e-mail at least 10 days before exam and then approved by teachers.
- Speech synthesis/Reading tutor.
- Written exams on “paper”: chance to perform it by PC (using Onenote, word or excel depending on the type of the exam)
- Oral conversion of a written exam: it is allowed if in accordance with specific proven certification (this request must be shared beforehand with the office)
Any further requests could be evaluated by the Ufficio Servizi per studenti con DSA, available at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure equal rights, education, and social integration within the university community, the University of Milan provides support services to students with specific learning disabilities.
Support services are granted for the entire duration of the student's academic career, including guidance, programme choice, admission tests and enrolment, up to graduation. We provide a range of customized services to be agreed upon request.
In the Laboratory Classroom of the Learning Disabilities Service, on via Festa del Perdono 3, computerized workstations are available upon reservation, with vocal synthesizers, printers, scanners, both for study and administration purposes.
Prospective students can request individual counselling when choosing a programme or before enrolment.
Early contact is highly recommended in order to gain a better knowledge of the programmes of interest.
The service is available throughout the year, excluding the period August-October. You can set an interview with the staff to get:
- all the information required for choosing a programme;
- an overview of learning disabilities services;
- information on admission procedures and the certificates to be submitted when applying for support and exemptions, as required by law;
In order to enrol and use learning disabilities services, you must submit a learning disabilities certificate, pursuant to Law 170/2010, issued by the National Health Service (SSN - Servizio Sanitario Nazionale), a private partner centre or a private specialist, along with a conformity statement by the local health authority (ASST - Azienda Socio Sanitaria Territoriale).
You can upload the certificate when registering for the admission test, specifying the support measures required (e.g. additional time, use of calculator, etc.), as indicated in the call for applications for each degree programme.
Please read the call carefully.
You can ask for:
- Additional time
- Support by a reading tutor during the test
- Non-scientific calculator
Admission Test a.y. 2020/2021 – Conditional admission for candidates with SLD having no revised certificates
Regarding the admission procedure for the academic year 2020/2021, candidates must present, within the deadlines set for every test, a suitable certification of specific learning disabilities (SLD) under law no. 170/2010
Anyway, candidates unable to obtain a revised certificate because of the measures adopted to counter the spread of Covid-19, can be conditionally accepted. Required and updated documents should be delivered in a second moment.
Please, read the call for admission carefully in order to know the procedure concerning the delivery of certificates and the support measures can be required.
If you are admitted, you can complete enrolment procedures online, by uploading the certificate again. You will be automatically registered with the Learning Disabilities Service.
After starting enrolment procedures, you must make an appointment for an individual interview, to learn more about the service and how to apply.
The interviewer will assess your certificate and prepare a customized report specifying the support services to be provided.
You will be sent the report and may ask for any amendments. This will be the only document to be used for requesting support services and contacting teachers.
In order to arrange for special examination procedures, please send an email to your contact teacher specifying the support measures required, attaching the customized report agreed with your interviewer, and always copying in email@example.com.
Available support services:
- Additional time
- Different examination procedure (WRITTEN – ORAL)
- Exams split in two or more sessions (please note EXAM TOPICS will remain UNCHANGED)
- Concept maps / formularies
- Non-scientific calculators
- PC (provided by the service)
- For written exams – READING TUTOR
You must email your contact teacher (copy to firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 10 days before the exam.
If you want to agree on different study and exam preparation methods, please submit your request as early as possible, preferably at the beginning of classes (e.g. for splitting an exam or using concept maps).
Students with learning disabilities can ask for tutoring on highly complex contents.
Tutors are selected by the Learning Disabilities Service through a public call. They may be Master's degree or doctoral students, research fellows or experts in the subject. The tutoring service is subject to resource availability and to service staff assessment based on the exam to be taken.
There are different forms of tutoring:
- individual tutoring
- group tutoring (by academic field or subject)
- thesis tutoring (bibliographic search and final paper formatting)
Moreover, group seminars on study methods are held regularly to illustrate key university study strategies.
Students with learning disabilities are entitled to special library loan services, including the preparation of texts in PDF format.
SensusAccess is a self-service solution that allows the conversion of documents and web page into a range of alternative formats. Users can choose different kind of output according to their needs:
- Digital Braille
- Audio file: MP3, audio-books (DAISY format)
- E-books (EPUB, EPUB3 formats)
The service can also be used to remediate otherwise inaccessible documents such as image-only PDF files or scanned images into more accessible formats.
SensusAccess is intended for University of study of Milan students, lecturers and staff. Each user can connect through their academic e-mail.
The interface is user friendly. To have your document converted into an alternative, accessible format, follow the four easy steps below:
- Upload one or more files
- Choose the output format
- Send your request
- Check your e-mail inbox for the result. In case the resulting documents are too big to be returned as email attachments, they are returned as encoded download links known only to the requesting users.
Documents converted are deleted immediately once each conversion is completed. Resulting files stored temporarily on SensusAccess web server are kept for seven days, after which they are automatically deleted.
Access the service by clicking here: SensusAccess
Then, upload the documents you need to convert and choose the output format according to your necessities.
Use of the SensusAccess service is subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Users must use the service in accordance with any terms and conditions set out by the University of the study of Milan
- SensusAccess service must only be used for educational, learning and non-commercial purposes
- Users are responsible for safekeeping of the material made available which must be used in accordance with copyright legislation
- Users should not upload any personal and/or sensitive information.
A link to the guidelines of the National University Conference of Delegates for Disabilities and Specific Learning Disorders (SLD), is below.
- New regulations on specific learning disabilities in schools (Law 170/2010)
- Agreement between the Government, Regions and Autonomous Provinces of Trento and Bolzano on “Indications for diagnosis and certification of diagnostics of specific learning disorders (SLD)”.