Prerequisites for admission
Students from Lingue must have taken and passed the English language test administered by the degree course.
The course is completely delivered in English. Lectures, materials and bibliography require a sound knowledge of the English language.
International students and Erasmus students are welcome as long as they own the required linguistic skills.
· Mary Oliver, A Poetry Handbook: A Prose Guide to Understanding and Writing Poetry, Harcourt, 1994
· from The Norton Anthology of American Literature, 9th edition (Vol. A):
BEGINNINGS TO 1820, Introduction, pp. 3-17
Anne Bradstreet, p. 217
Anne Bradstreet, "To My Dear and Loving Husband", p. 237; "In Memory of my Dear Grandchild Elizabeth Bradstreet", p. 241; "For Deliverance from a Fever", p. 243
Edward Taylor, p. 301
Edward Taylor, "Huswifery", p. 308
· Luca Briasco, "Introduzione storica", La letteratura americana dell'età coloniale, a cura di Paola Cabibbo, Roma, NIS, 1993, pp. 15-25 (Dispensa Letteratura angloamericana 1, su ARIEL)
· Alan Simpson, Puritanism in Old and New England, Chicago and London, The University of Chicago Press, 1955, cap.1 (Dispensa Letteratura angloamericana 1, su ARIEL)
· from The Norton Anthology of American Literature, 9th edition (Vol. B):
AMERICAN LITERATURE 1820-1865, Introduction, pp. 3-21
Ralph Waldo Emerson, p. 178
Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Poetry" (ch. 3) and "Language" (ch. 4), Nature, pp. 186-194
Edgar Allan Poe, p. 604
Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven", p. 612; Edgar Allan Poe, "The Philosophy of Composition", pp. 701-709
Walt Whitman, p. 1294
Walt Whitman, from Song of Myself, sections 1, 2, 5-8, 10, 11, 13, 15-17, 21, 24, 33 (lines 838-870), 38, 48-52, pp. 1312-56
Emily Dickinson, p. 1654
Emily Dickinson, the poems included in the PPT slides
· Cristina Iuli, Paola Loreto, La Letteratura degli Stati Uniti dal Rinascimento americano ai nostri giorni, Carocci, 2017 (cap. 2)
· Paola Loreto, La contemplazione dell'emblema: la poesia eretica di Emily Dickinson, Milano, Unicopli, 1999
· from The Norton Anthology of American Literature, 9th edition (Vol. D):
AMERICAN LITERATURE BETWEEN THE WARS, Introduction, pp. 3-21
Gertrude Stein, p. 184
Gertrude Stein, from The Making of Americans: Introduction, pp. 187-190; from Tender Buttons, "A Box", p. 191; from "Patriarchal Poetry" (on ARIEL)
Robert Frost, p. 218
Robert Frost, "Home Burial," p. 225; "Stopping by Woods", p. 233; "Spring Pools" (on ARIEL)
William Carlos Williams, p. 281
William Carlos Williams, "The Red Wheelbarrow", p. 288; "The Young Housewife", p. 283; "A Sort of a Song", p. 290; "This is Just to Say", p. 289; "Landscape with the Fall of Icarus", p. 292
Ezra Pound, "In a Station of the Metro", p. 297
· Cristina Iuli, Paola Loreto, La Letteratura degli Stati Uniti dal Rinascimento americano ai nostri giorni, Carocci, 2017 (cap. 7)
NB: The students who specialize in American Literature and have enrolled for a 3-year curriculum in American Literature are required to read, during the summer, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Norton Anthology), and The Great Gatsby by Francis Scott Fitzgerald in order to prepare for their treatment in class during their second year.
Notice for non-attending students
The course syllabus is the same for attending and non-attending students. However, non-attending students are strongly encouraged to facilitate their study by reading the relevant materials included in the Dispensa in the Materiali folder on Ariel.