Research fellows are recruited by selection or by direct call. The calls for applications for the recruitment of temporary research fellows are governed by art. 24(3) (a, b) of Law 240/10.
Italian or international candidates holding a PhD or equivalent degree, whether obtained in Italy or abroad, or a postgraduate medical degree for healthcare sectors, are eligible to apply.
In addition, applicants under point b must meet at least one of the following requirements (for the purposes of calculating the minimum three-year period, activities will be cumulated):
- have worked under a type-A research contract or have worked for at least 3 years under temporary research contracts;
- have completed at least 3 years, including non-consecutive years, as a research fellow or similar at international universities;
- have completed at least 3 years, including non-consecutive years, of post-doctoral research under a grant or scholarship at international universities;
- have obtained the Italian national scientific qualification (as full or associate professor) for the subject area covered by the call for applications or for one of the subject areas included in the relevant macro-area;
- have obtained a postgraduate medical degree.
Research fellows will be recruited under a contract as follows, depending on the type of position:
- a) three-year contract, extendable only once for two years, subject to a positive assessment of the research fellow's teaching and research activities;
- b) non-renewable three-year contract with the option of becoming an associate professor (pursuant to art. 24(5) of Law 240/10), subject to a positive assessment of the research fellow's teaching and research activities.
Depending on the type of position, the following admission requirements and grounds for exclusion from the selection process shall apply.
Online competition management and selection service for professors and researchers.
This is a form of direct recruitment that does not include calls from individual universities, but it is a nominative proposal that the university sends directly to the Ministry (Law 230/2005, Art. 1, paragraph 9).
Scholars can be recruited by direct call, who have:
- been permanently engaged abroad in research or teaching activities for at least three years, holding an equivalent academic position in a university or a research institution abroad. The call requires the consultation of the National Scientific Qualification Commissions (ASN);
- qualified for specific high-qualification research projects, funded by the European Union or by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) and identified with a specific decree, after a positive opinion from ANVUR and CUN. For calls made within three years of winning the research project, consultation of the National Scientific Qualification Commissions (ASN) is not required.