Greg Garrard, Ecocriticism, Routledge (2nd edition). Chapter 7 on animals is particularly important. (Anglistica library and Unimi database).
- A selection of short stories from: "Among Animals. The Lives of Animals and Humans in Contemporary Short Fiction", Ashland Creek Press. The specific titles will be indicated at the beginning of the course; a detailed and final syllabus will be uploaded on Teams.
- Sascha Morrell, Book Review: Among Animals: The Lives of Animals and Humans in Contemporary Short Fiction, 2014. (Free online).
- J. M. Coetzee, "The Lives of Animals", 1999, complete edition.
- Tim Mehigan, "A Companion to the Works of J. M. Coetzee": Introduction, Chapter 11, Chapter 14. (Anglistica library and Unimi database).
- Giuliana Iannaccaro, "The Lives of Animals", in J. M. Coetzee, 2009. (Anglistica library and on Teams).
- Franz Kafka, "A Report to an Academy", 1917, in English translation (free online).
- Ian McEwan, "Machines Like Me", 2019.
- A critical study and reviews of the novel. The specific titles will be indicated at the beginning of the course; a detailed and final syllabus will be uploaded on Teams.
The third unit - designed for students who wish to acquire 9 CFU - is devoted to the possibility of moving beyond the otherness of non-human animals. Three very different texts will be discussed, namely a selection of animal poems by Ted Hughes, a novella by R.K. Narayan entitled A Tiger for Malgudi, and a short story by Amitav Ghosh entitled The Living Mountain.
Besides the primary texts, students will also read the following critical essays:
- Tom Furniss and Michael Bath, "The Poetry of the Earth", in Reading Poetry, Routledge.
- Karen L. Edwards, "'What Am I?' Locating the Indeterminate Voices of Ted Hughes's Animal Poems", in Carrie Smith, Reading Literary Animals.
- Angshuman Kar, "Narayan's A Tiger for Malgudi and Ecocriticism", ANQ (Lexington, Ky.), 2008-04-01, Vol.21 (2), pp. 65-71.
In addition to the above-listed materials, students who do not attend classes must also study:
- Hermann Grosser, "Narrativa", Milano, Principato, 1985 (e varie ristampe), [Anglistica Library].
- Manfred Jahn, "Narratology 2.2: A Guide to the Theory of Narrative", 2021 [Free online].
- Matthew Calarco, "Thinking Through Animals. Identity, Difference, Indistinction", 2015 [Anglistica Library and Unimi database].
- Le biografie degli autori, che si trovano sulla banca dati Unimi LION (Literature Online): https://www.sba.unimi.it/
> Literature Online > Opere di riferimento > nome dell'autore > ProQuest Biography