· Phases of programming.
· Modeling tools.
· A brief history of programming.
· Programming languages
· Principles of structured programming.
· C Language: expressions and assignments, control structures, predefined types, arrays, matrices, and strings, structured types, pointers, and memory management, functions and parameter passing, main and parameters to main, standard library, file management.
· Jumps elimination: the Böhm-Jacopini Theorem, Ashcroft and Manna's transformation.
· Code correctness: elements of validation and verification.
OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING
· Modularity, abstraction and abstract data type, encapsulation classes and objects, inheritance and polymorphism
· Design pattern, Aspect oriented programming
· Java programming
· Advanced software development practices
Prerequisites for admission
This is an introductory class on programming, its principles, and techniques. The scope is to provide all the knowledge to model, solve and develop software solution to simple problems. Therefore, there are no specific pre-requisites to address the course.
Assessment methods and Criteria
The exam is divided into two different parts. A written exam (two hours, no open book) for the theoretical part where competences in terms of computer programming concepts and algorithmic thinking are evaluated. A practical laboratory exam focused on C and Java programming based on exercises to be done in laboratory.
The vote of theoretical and practical parts of the exam is expressed in thirtieths. Votes will be directly notified to students as soon as they are available.
The two parts of the exam can be done even in separated distinct exam sessions. The final vote is computed as the average of the practical and theoretical parts
It is possible to improve the average with an optional project to be agreed with the teachers (2 additional points at the maximum).
For the written exam, in addition to the correctness of the answer, the competence in the use of an adequate technical language will be evaluated. For the practical exam, in addition to the correctness of the result, the technical quality of the programming will be evaluated. For the optional project, the complexity, the quality of the code and the exposure capacity will be evaluated.