Master’s degree programmes with limited enrolment
Admission to master’s degree programmes with limited enrolment is through an admission exam (more than one exam can be taken if necessary). The result of the exam determines your position in the final ranking of students who are eligible for enrolment.
EU and non-EU citizens residing in Italy gain access to university education under the same conditions as Italian citizens, although they may have to sit the admission test in English as well.
Non-EU citizens residing abroad, for whom a number of places is reserved, may gain access through a special process based, for example, solely on their qualifications.
Methods and deadlines for registering for the exams can be found in the calls for applications which give information on:
- the number of available places
- specific requirements
- dates, programmes, exam procedures and locations
- information for candidates with disabilities or SLD
- instructions for accessing results and final ranking list
If you are enrolling at the University of Milan for the first time, or you have studied with us previously but your old credentials are no longer active:
- Register on the portal.
- At the end of the registration process, access the email account indicated during registration and activate the registration credentials you received (username and password).
If, on the other hand, you are a graduand or graduate of the University of Milan, have your University credentials to hand as you will need them to access the admission application.
The application to take the exam must be completed online on the dates set every year, without having to hand anything in at the Student helpdesk.
Those who wish to sit the exam for more than one programme must submit an admission application for each programme, and pay the fee for each one. Bear in mind that, in any case, you will only be able to enrol on one programme.
Before you start, make sure you have the following to hand:
- Your registration credentials (or University access credentials if you have previously studied at this university).
- Your Italian tax identification code (international students will be assigned an alternative identification code).
- A valid identity document (passport, driving licence, identity card).
- The exact name of the programme you wish to gain admission to.
- Your credit card (if you wish to use this method of payment). Please note that if you are enrolling from abroad you can only pay by credit card.
- If you are a graduand or graduate from a different University, prepare the required documents indicated in the call for applications in jpg, .pdf or .rtf format.
- If you are an international student, prepare the files for the other documents indicated in the call for applications.
Payment of admission fee
During the admission procedure you will be asked to pay an enrolment fee, which you can choose to pay by credit card or with a Payment notice:
- If you have chosen to pay by credit card, the payment will be confirmed immediately;
- If you have chosen to pay using the Payment notice, do so by the deadline indicated on the form and keep the receipt. The payment confirmation will be sent to you by email and the application will come into effect as soon as the Student Registry receives payment (within 5 working days).
At the end of the admission procedure you can save or print the receipt. A copy of the receipt, detailing the date and time of the exam or evaluation, will in any case be sent to you by email.
If you have chosen to pay by credit card you will also receive payment confirmation.
If you have chosen to pay using the MAV form, you can print the receipt along with the slip at the end of the procedure.
- Prepare for the evaluation or the exam: the schedule is contained in the calls for application for admission.
Check the date, time and location for the exam or evaluation, indicated on the receipt printed at the end of the admission procedure (which you will also have received by email) and in the calls for applications of the individual programmes.
Make sure you arrive on time on the day of the exam, bringing with you the payment receipt and a valid identity document.
The ranking lists are available online and can viewed either in alphabetical order (by surname) or by Tax ID code.
If you have passed the exam, you can enrol online without having to hand anything in at the Student helpdesk.
Students who have obtained a qualification abroad must book an appointment during the procedure, in order to hand in at Student Registry the documents required to complete their enrolment.
Make sure you have the following to hand:
- Tax ID Code. International students must obtain the code before enrolling.
- Passport photo (no other type of photograph will be accepted) in JPG, PNG, BMP format, maximum size 2 MB.
- Scanned copy of your identity document (back and front) in JPG, PNG, BMP format, maximum size 2 MB.
- Your registration credentials (or University access credentials if you are already enrolled at this university).
- Details of secondary school leaving qualification (upper secondary school): year, grade, school institute
- Your credit card (if you wish to use this method of payment); if you prefer to make a payment notice, you must print out or save the slip generated by the system.
Paying with the Payment notice
You can make payment with your online banking, at any bank branch and ATM in Italy,or at Tobacconists that offer this service. Keep the receipt and remember that if you delay payment, you will have to pay a fine on the second instalment.
- If you have paid with the Payment notice, enrolment will be confirmed as soon as the Student Registry receives payment, and in any case within 5 days. You will receive confirmation of payment by email.
- If you have paid by credit card and the transaction has been successful, confirmation of your enrolment is immediate and will be sent to you by email along with the bank payment receipt.
At the end of the procedure, save your receipt as proof that your enrolment has been properly registered. The receipt consists of several pages:
- The first page is a summary of the information you entered
- The second page contains your matriculation number, your new student credentials (these will become active from the day after enrolment), your PIN number (in case you lose your password: make sure you keep it safe) and the details of your new University email account where you will receive all official communications from the University.
- The third page is the MAV form (if you have chosen this method of payment), which will need to be paid by the deadline indicated on the slip.