Advanced programmes offer professional, scientific and cultural updating through flexible and short-term courses, divided into lectures and other educational activities.
How they work and when they are offered
The specialization courses of the University of Milan are offered from October to July, through Rectoral notices containing all the information needed for access to the programmes.
The enrolment fees may vary from course to course and are specified in the programme notices, as well as how the scholarships are available, the criteria for the assignment, the requirements and any documents that are necessary for enrolment are also indicated.
What is the difference between an advanced training course and a vocational master?
Both are postgraduate training programmes aimed at developing high quality professional skills. They aim to deepen previously acquired knowledge through learning paths or professional activities and, therefore, they are addressed both to those who intend to continue their studies and to those who are already employed and interested in raising their skill levels.
The advanced courses have a limited duration and grant a final attendance certificate.
Vocational masters, which are structurally more complex and of a longer duration, certify a university master's degree after earning at least 60 university credits (in accordance with Ministerial Decree 509/99).
To register, you must meet the requirements indicated in the notice and pass any admission tests. Enrolment is also permitted to those who are currently enrolled in another degree or post-graduate programme.
Course catalogue, deadlines and admission requirements
Before registering for a course, read the competition announcement carefully, which, in addition to the content, objectives and educational organization of the course of study, establishes:
- enrolment requirements;
- limited enrolment, if any, and selection procedures;
- registration fees;
- deadlines and methods for submitting applications for registration and enrolment;
- contact information for the organizing administrative office.
- Have the following at hand:
- a valid identity document
- the name of the university where you completed the degree requested in the call for applications
- the date on which you completed the requested degree
- Access the admission service by using:
- your credentials @studenti.unimi.it (if you graduated from or are currently enrolled at the University of Milan), or
- your SPID identity, or
- your external user credentials (if you do not have them, please register on the University portal)
- Complete the admission application online
- Check and confirm the data in your application: a copy will be sent to your university email address or the email address that you indicated during the registration process
- Save and store a copy of the admission application
In the following cases, the application must be sent in with additional documents to the Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning Office
- holders of non-university qualifications issued in Italy, which are legally recognized as equivalent to a required degree, must submit a copy of their qualifications and their high school diploma;
- holders of a degree issued abroad must submit, for the assessment of their degree and only for the purpose of course enrolment, the original or a certified copy of the following documents:
- educational qualifications; official translation of the academic qualification, which has been certified according to the legislation in force in the country where it was obtained;
- a "Dichiarazione di valore in loco”, which is issued by the Italian representative (embassy or consulate) in the country where the degree was awarded. Those who have obtained the qualification in a European Union country can present the Diploma Supplement, in alternative to the translation and the "Dichiarazione di valore in loco”, which is also accepted according to current legislation.
The selection results are published online.
Periodically check the ranking list: if your name is on the list you must enrol within 5 days from the publication of the results.
Those who are accepted are required to:
enrol within 5 working days from the publication of the ranking list, otherwise enrolment will not be not valid;
pay the registration fee indicated on the web page for each course, by credit card or by using the MAV form which is generated at the end of the online enrolment procedure.
Time limits and conditions for payment of the enrolment fee also apply when paid by someone other than the interested party, such as institutions, organizations or companies, with the penalty of failed course registration.
The advanced courses are a part of the institutional activity of the university, which means that the enrolment fee is excluded from the application of VAT (ex art. 10, d.p.r. 633/1972). Therefore, it is not possible to issue invoices.
At the time of enrolment, candidates coming from foreign countries are required to submit a copy of their tax code to the Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning Office, and non-UE citizens must also show their original Italian residence permit.
Information regarding the course syllabus and calendars is available from the course administrative office, indicated in the official course notice.
Self-certification forms are downloadable from: Unimia – Sifa Services – Administrative services
The request must be submitted via InformaStudenti or to the Postgraduate Office, Student Administrative Offices, via S. Sofia 9/1, in person, or by another person with an identity document and a signed and dated delegation form and a front/back copy of the applicant's identity document.
In alternative, the request can also be sent in with a €16 revenue stamp for each certificate requested.
Withdrawal from an advanced course must be requested by using the special form which, together with the original payment receipt, must be sent to the Postgraduate Office - Student Administrative Offices, via S. Sofia 9/1.
If the course withdrawal is completed before the official course starting date, it will be subject to a reimbursement of any fees paid, less 10% of the enrolment fees and, in any case, not less than 100 euros, which is retained by the University of Milan as reimbursement for general and administrative expenses.
The form, with the original payment receipt attached, should be sent to:
University of Milan
Segreteria Dottorati, master e studenti internazionali - Segreterie Studenti
via Festa del perdono 7
The design, planning and provision of master's courses fall within the Quality Assurance System aimed at improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the process with a view to continuously improving activities and increasing user satisfaction.
The procedure related to accreditation activities is certified according to the UNI EN ISO 9001:2015 standard.