Molecular Biology of the Cell
In-depth and up-to-date knowledge will be provided for the following subjects: molecular analysis of the genome; regulation of gene expression; structure and function of biological macromolecules and their interactions in supramolecular complexes; cellular communication, signal perception and transduction, metabolic regulation, biomolecular engineering and computing. Both theoretical and practical aspects of biomolecular research will be addressed. Graduate students will learn to apply novel and emerging research technologies/approaches, cutting-edge data acquisition systems and analysis, and will have hands-on experience with top-level nanotechnology, hosted in the research laboratories of the DBS. MBC graduates will be well-equipped to enter further, postgraduate-level education programmes.
The admission to the MBC course is subject to curricular requirements and a demonstrated background knowledge in suitable disciplines related to the course (DM 270/04). Admission is open to:
- Graduates in Biological Sciences (Class L-13) from any Italian University that follows CBUI rules, as adequately certified. In this case, credits (CFU or Ects) acquired by the candidate as an undergraduate will be fully recognized and will meet the curricular prerequisites. The CBUI guidelines describe the compulsory SSD (scientific areas) and the related recommended number of CFUs (min-max): 66-96 CFUs in biological subjects (BIO/01,BIO/02,BIO/04, BIO/05,BIO/06,BIO/07, BIO/09,BIO/10,BIO/11, BIO/18, BIO/19); 12-15 CFUs in chemistry-based subjects (CHIM/01, CHIM/02, CHIM/03, CHIM/06); 15-18 CFUs in mathematics/physics and computer science subjects (MAT/01-09, FIS/01-08 e INF/01).
- Biological Sciences (Class L-13) graduates from Universities that do not follow CBUI guidelines, Biological Sciences (Class L-12) ex DM509/99, or any other class that meet suitable curricular requirements, including graduates from foreign Universities that possess a title equivalent to the 1st level degree in Italian law. Curricular requirements are the acquisition of a minimum of 93 CFUs distributed in equivalent scientific areas (SSD), as described above, for Biological Sciences (Class L-13) that are in line with the criteria set by CBUI.
Students lacking adequate curricular requirements should contact the Coordinator of the Master's course well in advance, to plan the acquisition of the requested CFUs prior to the application deadline. Any lacking CFU can be acquired by passing the relevant exams and thus acquiring the credits at the University of Milan or any other University. Only students who possess the prerequisites will be invited to the interview.
The admission exam will consist of a formal interview (that can be arranged online) with an Evaluation Committee that will verify the candidate's background knowledge in Biology. A self-assessment test of theoretical knowledge will be made available to students prior to their interview to verify their level of knowledge.
For all students, knowledge of the English language must be at least B1 level ("lower intermediate") according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages or equivalent certification. The proficiency in scientific English will be verified by the committee during the interview.
The prerequisite to enter the MBC Master's Degree program is an adequate knowledge of the fundaments of biological disciplines as certified by the possession of the required CFUs as described in paragraph "Admission Requirements". Knowledge will be verified by: 1) evaluation of the bachelor study program and 2) an interview with the Admission Committee, composed of teaching members appointed by the Academic Board. The interview will evaluate the expertise of the candidate in topics related to the MBC degree, and will ascertain proficiency in the English language.
The committee will evaluate the candidate on a 100-point scale and award:
- 25/100 points for the graduation grade;
-10/100 points for the curriculum vitae (degrees with higher number of CFUs in biology related disciplines will obtain more points; the same applies to the presence of extra elective courses, Erasmus experience, others,...)
- 65/100 for interview performance
The minimum requirement for admission is 60/100 and an adequate English proficiency level (equivalent to B1 level).
For the academic Year 2020-2021 applicant interviews will be held online, for those who submit their application by the deadline (see above, "Application Form"), on the following days:
- 17th September 2020 at 14.30, for graduated students;
- 6th November 2020 at 14.30 for students that graduate in September and October;
- 12th January 2021, at 14.30, for students that graduate in December. Students must bring official proof of their identity (identity card or passport).
Upon graduation, students not from University of Milan, must present certification of their awarded degree to the Administrative Office or email via www.unimi.infostudente.it.
Foreign students who are not resident in Italy and who possess a foreign bachelor's degree title, will be invited to an online interview. Foreign students who reside in Italy are classed as Italian citizens and must undergo the same evaluation. Check for updates on interview dates and times on the website: https://mbc.cdl.unimi.it
The Erasmus+ call is released each year, usually in February. More information can be found at https://www.unimi.it/en/international/study-abroad/studying-abroad-eras….
Accepted students must present a study plan that reports all the activities he/she intends to perform abroad, detailing the corresponding CFUs; the number of proposed CFUs should approximately correspond to those the student would have achieved over the same time period in his/her university. The proposed Erasmus+ program study plan, must be coherent with the MBC course content and must be evaluated and approved by the Academic Board. If necessary, the Academic Board may request the student to integrate the program of exams taken abroad. In accordance with the rules established by the Academic Senate, following completion of the Erasmus+ program, approved exams will be registered, possibly with the original denomination, as part of the student's curriculum, upon the conversion of the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) into CFUs.
If the student performs the experimental thesis work abroad, he/she must follow the rules outlined above (see Internship criteria and Rules for the thesis and final exam).
The Erasmus and international mobility advisor for Biological area is Prof. M. Cristina Bonza (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- International Students Office
Address: via S. Sofia, 9/1, Milan.
To contact the office or book an appointment, see:
- Representative for disability services and specific learning disabilities (appointed by the Academic Board)
Dr.ssa Diletta Dolfini
- Academic Services Office
Address: via Celoria, 26, 20133 Milan 2nd floor, A Building.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 10 am - 11:45 am. For information on teaching and course organization.
- Student registrar
Address: via Celoria, 18, 20133 Milan.
+39Phone: (+39) 199.188.128/ From abroad: (+39) 056676357.
For information on taxes, enrollment procedures and related administrative issues. Contacts and office opening hours see:
- MBC email
- Matriculation and enrollment
Le tasse universitarie per gli studenti iscritti ai corsi di laurea, di laurea magistrale e a ciclo unico sono suddivise in due rate con modalità di calcolo e tempi di pagamento diversi:
- l'importo della prima rata è uguale per tutti
- l'importo della seconda rata varia in base al valore ISEE Università, al Corso di laurea di iscrizione e alla posizione (in corso/fuori corso da un anno oppure fuori corso da più di un anno).
- per i corsi on line è prevista una rata suppletiva.
- agevolazioni per gli studenti con elevati requisiti di merito
- importi diversificati in base al Paese di provenienza per gli studenti internazionali con reddito e patrimonio all'estero
- agevolazioni per gli studenti internazionali con status di rifugiato
L’Ateneo fornisce agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali)
Info su ammissioni e immatricolazioni
- Contatta le segreterie
- Sportello online Infostudente (richiede la registrazione)
- Studenti internazionali: welcome desk
- Servizi per studenti con disabilità
- Servizi per studenti con DSA