Food quality and safety

A.Y. 2019/2020
8
Max ECTS
64
Overall hours
SSD
AGR/15 AGR/16
Language
Italian
Learning objectives
The course aims to provide students with the knowledge related to quality, risk, traceability and management and the relative mandatory and voluntary regulatory references. The course also aims to convey to students the risk assessment methodologies, management, compliance and effectiveness verification, together with the ability to design and develop control systems to ensure the hygiene and quality of food products along the production and distribution chain, through the study of case studies.
Expected learning outcomes
At the end of the course the students will be able to describe the food processes with supply chain diagrams, company diagrams, lots; identify critical process points, plan monitoring, review and validation activities. At the end of the course the students will be able to identify the most appropriate strategies to prevent and control the growth of microorganisms in the food production and distribution process, as well as assess the adequacy of a sampling plan and interpret and manage the analytical data. Students will be able to describe food processes with supply chain diagrams, company diagrams, batch diagrams, identify critical process points, plan monitoring, review and validation activities.
Course syllabus and organization

Single session

Responsible
Lesson period
First semester
Course syllabus
The concept of Quality in food factories and microbiological critery. GMP and GHP (prerequisit operativi) HACCP system and writting of Autocontrol Plain: casies study.Risk analisys, (assessment, management and comunication) and definition of FSO (Food Safety Objectives). Sampling plain (two or three classes). Microbiological criteria (ingiuntive and mandatary criteria). Italian and European legislation.

1. Food quality: analytical and dynamic models.
2. Quality insurance: from product verification to integrated management systems. Product and system certification in the food system: general principles, normative references, frameworks and organizations involved.
3. Risk analysis according to the Military Standard applied to food yield optimization. Food Defence.
4. Quality management systems. Introduction to the UNI EN ISO 9001 standard. Case study
analysis: management responsibility, strategic and operative objectives, provision of resource, planning and
realization of product, raw material procurement, verification, validation, system review and improvement, documentation.
5. Food traceability systems within a company and along a supply chain. Introduction to UNI EN ISO 22005. RF and RFP schemes. Case study analysis: relevant steps for product identification, traceability procedures, simulation of withdrawal of lots of end products.
6. Tools and techniques Flow-sheets for supply-chain, process, and lot mapping. Lay-out. Check lists.
Prerequisites for admission
Basic knowledge about food chemistry, food microbiology and food technology that is acquired by passing the I and II year exams is strongly recommended.
Teaching methods
Class room lectures account for 60% of the teaching, and discussions on case studies with students account for the remaining 40%.
Teaching Resources
- Peri, C.; Lavelli, V.; Marjani, A. Qualità nelle aziende e nelle filiere agro-alimentari, 2004. Hoepli, Milano
- Additional documents (in English) available on the Ariel platform.
Assessment methods and Criteria
The exam consists of a written test intended to ascertain the use of appropriate terms, the clarity of presentation and the ability to integrate the acquired knowledge and solve a specific case studies. After the written text, the student can freely have an oral examination.

The exam consists of 5 questions with short answers and 4 questions with an open answer.


To perform the exam, students have to register in SIFA within the deadline (http://www.unimi.it/).

The final rating will be communicated to each student by an automatic e-mail sent by the SIFA system.
Hygienic safety
AGR/15 - FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY - University credits: 0
AGR/16 - AGRICULTURAL MICROBIOLOGY - University credits: 0
Lessons: 32 hours
Professor: Franzetti Laura
Quality management
AGR/15 - FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY - University credits: 0
AGR/16 - AGRICULTURAL MICROBIOLOGY - University credits: 0
Lessons: 32 hours
Educational website(s)
Professor(s)
Reception:
appointment by phone
via Mangiagalli, 25 (floor IV room 4021)
Reception:
Thursday 16.30-17.30. Please, contact me in advance by e-mail
DeFENS-Sezione Tecnologie Alimentari