The course offers a solid grounding in chemistry, biology and computing; an excellent basis in the fields of biochemistry, physiology, pathology and applied human pharmacology; knowledge of the foundations of physiopathology and diagnostics; and a solid interdisciplinary understanding of the biotechnological methodologies used in the different fields of biotechnologies with medical uses.
A particular focus is placed on the research, diagnostic, therapeutic, reproductive, medical and legal sectors.
Medical Biotechnologies graduates can pursue careers in:
- universities and other public and private research bodies;
- National Health Service organisations, hospitals, specialist public and private laboratories;
- the pharmaceutical and biotechnological industries;
- research and development centres for biotechnological diagnostic products in the health sector;
- biotechnological service centres;
- bodies in charge of drafting health and patent regulations regarding the utilisation of biotechnological products for the protection of human health.
Biotechnology medical practitioners engage in the following occupations:
- the application of biotechnological techniques to support biomedical research;
- molecular diagnostics (DNA sequencing, PCR, in-situ hybridisation);
- the production of vectors for experimental and gene therapy purposes;
- cell culture generation and maintenance;
- the generation of engineered cells for diagnostic and curative treatments;
- the generation of transgenic animals for the production of therapeutic proteins or xenografts assistance with clinical trials of biotechnological medicines;
- assistance with the optimisation and personalisation of pharmacological therapy;
- the application of genomic medicine principles;
- clinical monitoring of biotechnological medicines;
- the application and development of biotechnology-based diagnostic tests;
- biotechnological trials and analyses;
- technical and scientific information in the biotechnological field.
Application and admission: Limited enrolment with admission test.
Access is conditional on passing a test (TOLC-S, CISIA OnLine Test, www.cisiaonline.it ) which will give rise to a merit ranking.
Students must have level B2 proficiency in English. Proficiency may be certified at the time of matriculation by submitting a certificate of level B2 language proficiency or better, or by sitting the SLAM (University Language Centre) Placement test during the first year of studies only, between September and December.
Students who do not pass the test must follow the SLAM language courses and obtain appropriate certification within the year the plan of study calls for a language exam.
The Degree Programme in Medical Biotechnology encourages its students to earn credits abroad, promotes international exchanges and embraces new internationalization initiatives.
Bilateral agreements have been in place for years with the Katolieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, the Universitat de Lleida, Spain, and the LUMC (Leids Universitair Medish Centrum) of the University of Leiden (Netherlands), as part of the Erasmus+ programme. A growing number of students have been able to enjoy periods of training abroad, aimed at developing their professional skills and achieving a truly European education. Our partner universities are prestigious European institutions with master and PhD schools in biomedical sciences. You can thus enrich your curriculum and consider the possibility of continuing your studies in an international environment.
Four places are available for academic year 2019-2020. The degree programme in Medical Biotechnology offers third-year students the opportunity to attend their practical internship abroad in order to work on their thesis. The internship lasts three months and awards 14 university credits (8 CFUs for practical training + 6 CFUs for elective educational activities), subject to a positive assessment by the foreign laboratory supervisor and your UNIMI supervisor, as well as the approval of the Academic Board. If the Degree Commission deems it appropriate, and following a letter from the foreign tutor to the President, particularly deserving Erasmus students will earn an additional point towards the final degree mark.
In addition to the meetings organized by the University, the Medical Biotechnology Degree Programme provides support to interested students.
Le attività didattiche relative al I semestre ed al II semestre del II e III anno si svolgono presso il Polo Didattico Scientifico LITA-Segrate, mentre le attività didattiche del I semestre del I anno sono svolte presso le strutture didattiche locate nell'area di Città Studi. A partire dal II semestre del I anno le attività didattiche sono svolte presso il Polo Didattico Scientifico LITA-Segrate e presso altre strutture, anche acquisite per convenzione con Enti pubblici e privati extrauniversitari, a disposizione della Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia. Queste strutture, dotate di moderne attrezzature scientifiche e assistenziali, e di competenze di elevatissimo livello nell'ambito delle biotecnologie applicate alle scienze mediche, sono anche utilizzate per lo svolgimento di tirocini e attività attinenti la prova finale di Laurea.
For students enrolled on bachelor’s, master’s and single cycle degree programmes are divided into two instalments of different amounts and with different payment deadlines:
- the first, corresponding to the minimum amount, is the same for all students
- the second - technically referred to as an ‘all-inclusive fee’- that is variable.
Students can also be entitled for tuition fee reductions such as:
- lowering for students who meet high merit requirements
- fixed amounts calculated on the basis of the student's citizenship group for those with income/property abroad
- support for students who have political refugee status.
More info at: Fees - current academic year
Scholarships and benefits
The University also provides a range of financial benefits to students meeting special requirements (merit, financial or personal conditions, international students), including:
Admission, ranking and enrolment