Law and Sustainable Development
The programme provides students with an advanced understanding of contemporary legal and socio-economic dynamics, characterised by interdependence, increasing complexity, rapid evolution, and integration between different fields of knowledge, as well as by a pluralist legal landscape, in which the traditional boundaries between levels (international, supranational, and domestic) and sources (public/private) of regulation are blurring.
In this context, students will develop an advanced understanding of the theoretical foundations of sustainability processes and the ethical implications of the choices made in this field by policy-makers and regulators, as well as by economic and social actors. They will also acquire an in-depth knowledge of the international and European legal framework applicable to the design and implementation of sustainability policies by international and supranational organisations, national and local public authorities, corporations (both in the domestic and transnational dimension), and organisations of the civil society (including NGOs).
In particular, candidates must :
1. Hold, or obtain before the 30 October 2021, either:
a) A first cycle degree obtained in Italy or abroad, in Law, Economics, Political Science, or International Relations. In accordance with national classification, italian first cycle degree must belong to one of the following classes of degrees: L-14 (Scienze dei servizi giuridici), L-33 (Scienze economiche), L-36 (Scienze politiche e delle relazioni internazionali), L-37 (Scienze sociali per la cooperazione, lo sviluppo e la pace), L-16 (Scienze dell'amministrazione e dell'organizzazione), L-18 (Scienze dell'economia e della gestione aziendale),
b) A first cycle degree (three years/bachelor = 180 ECTS), obtained in Italy or abroad, in other disciplines, provided that the candidate has obtained at least 18 ECTS in Law and 12 ECTS in Economics. In accordance with national classification, for student holding an Italian first cycle degree, the above-mentioned ECTS must have been obtained in one or more of the following scientific sectors (s.s.d.):
- for LAW: IUS/01 diritto privato, IUS/02 diritto privato comparato, IUS/04 diritto commerciale, IUS/05 diritto dell'economia, IUS/07 diritto del lavoro, IUS/08 diritto costituzionale, IUS/09 istituzioni di diritto pubblico, IUS/10 diritto amministrativo, IUS/10 diritto tributario, IUS/13 diritto internazionale, IUS/14 diritto dell'unione europea, IUS/17 diritto penale, IUS/20 filosofia del diritto, IUS/21 diritto pubblico comparato;
- for ECONOMICS: SECS-P/01 economia politica, SECS-P/02 politica economica, SECS-P/03 scienza delle finanze, SECS-P/04 storia del pensiero economico, SECS-P/07 economia aziendale, SECS-P/08 economia e gestione delle imprese, SECS-P/10 organizzazione aziendale, SECS-P/12 storia economica, SECS-S/04 demografia.
2. Show proficiency in English language by either
a) Proving that they have previously completed an academic programme fully taught in English,
b) Providing, before the deadline for admission, an accepted English language certificate attesting the possession of the level C1 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- the required level must be attained for each component of the certificate provided (provided that the required level C1 is reached for each of the components tested (reading, writing, listening, and speaking)
- the list of language certificates accepted by the University of Milan is available on the UNIMI portal (Home > Study > Language proficiency > Accepted language certificates)
3. Have strong personal competencies in the fields of law and economics that are adequate for the Degree's programme attendance. The adequacy of the candidates' competencies is assessed by the Admissions' Board
- based on the academic performance of the candidate and consistency of the programme with her/his previous studies, professional or other relevant experiences, and career plans
- through a personal interview to be hold exclusively from remote, when the Admission Board deems necessary to do so
The Admissions' Board may, however, recommend that admitted students take preliminary readings indicated by the teachers of first-year courses and attend crash courses.
More info on admission criteria and procedures on the Degree course website: home>application - https://llmsd.cdl.unimi.it/en/enrolment
However, learning agreements for students' mobility may be approved only if consistent with the programme's learning objectives and its focus on sustainable development. In order to ensure consistency, a list of suitable destinations will be published on the LL.M. website.
The LL.M. also offers two possibilities of double degrees
- QUEEN MARY UNIVERSITY: Following the successful completion of the first year of study in the LLM in Law and Sustainable Development, students may be granted admission to one of the Master's degree courses offered by Queen Mary University, at a discounted fee. Admitted students will spend the whole second year in London. Upon successful completion of the two Master's programmes, students will be awarded both the UNIMI Master's Programme and the Queen Mary University law degree.
- UNIVERSIDAD DEL PAÍS VASCO: after attending the first year of the LL.M. in Law and Sustainable Development, students may be granted admission to the one-year International Master in Sociology of Law of Universidad Del País Vasco and be awarded the Double Degree.
More information on the double degrees are available on the LL.M. website.
Le tasse universitarie per gli studenti iscritti ai corsi di laurea, di laurea magistrale e a ciclo unico sono suddivise in due rate con modalità di calcolo e tempi di pagamento diversi:
- l'importo della prima rata è uguale per tutti
- l'importo della seconda rata varia in base al valore ISEE Università, al Corso di laurea di iscrizione e alla posizione (in corso/fuori corso da un anno oppure fuori corso da più di un anno).
- per i corsi on line è prevista una rata suppletiva.
- agevolazioni per gli studenti con elevati requisiti di merito
- importi diversificati in base al Paese di provenienza per gli studenti internazionali con reddito e patrimonio all'estero
- agevolazioni per gli studenti internazionali con status di rifugiato
L’Ateneo fornisce agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali)
Info su ammissioni e immatricolazioni