Law and Sustainable Development
The programme provides students with an advanced understanding of contemporary legal and socio-economic dynamics, characterised by interdependence, increasing complexity, rapid evolution, and integration between different fields of knowledge, as well as by a pluralist legal landscape, in which the traditional boundaries between levels (international, supranational, and domestic) and sources (public/private) of regulation are blurring.
In this context, students will develop an advanced understanding of the theoretical foundations of sustainability processes and the ethical implications of the choices made in this field by policy-makers and regulators, as well as by economic and social actors. They will also acquire an in-depth knowledge of the international and European legal framework applicable to the design and implementation of sustainability policies by international and supranational organisations, national and local public authorities, corporations (both in the domestic and transnational dimension), and organisations of the civil society (including NGOs).
Students will be educated and trained for the following professional profiles.
1) Legal expert in SD for the public institutions (Public Administration, supranational and international institutions). Graduate students, especially those who choose the curriculum 'Rule of Law', will be able to develop normative approaches and policies in line with the SDGs. Students will contribute to guiding decisional processes within international and supranational organizations, national, regional and local institutions, to promote social, economic and environmental standards. Building on the best practices developed in these fields, students will be able, in particular, to manage the private-public partnerships and the green and ethical public procurement, to enhance transparency, and to tackle corruption.
2) Legal expert in SD for business (sustainability managers in enterprises, national and multi-national corporations). Graduate students, especially those who choose the curriculum 'Law, Economics, and Development', will be able to deal with the legal aspects related to the sustainability in business enterprises, focusing mainly on corporate social responsibility. They will contribute to the drafting of contracts and the adoption of business strategies that meet the needs of the enterprise and its stakeholders while promoting social and environmental standards.
3) Legal expert in SD in consulting (consultancy-firms and law-firms). Graduate students, especially those who choose the curricula 'Law, Economics, and Development' or 'Environmental Law and Policy', will be able to provide legal advice and other professional services about the applicable social and environmental rules and standards. They will conduct research and draw up reports on subjects relevant to human rights and environmental regulation adopted at the international, European, and national levels. Moreover, they will make use of their knowledge of regulations and standards applicable in different areas (i.e. environment, trade, finance and investments, competition, manufacturing, agriculture, and health) in tasks such as auditing and compliance.
4) Legal expert in SD for the third sector (non-profit organizations, NGOs, think-tanks, research institutes). Graduate students, especially those who choose the curricula 'Human Rights Law and Social Development' or 'Environmental Law and Policy', will be able to provide legal advice to not-for-profit organizations operating in the areas of development aid and cooperation, environmental protection, and human rights law. In this context, they will engage in advocacy activities and strategic litigation, fund-raising, as well as the design, management and monitoring of projects. They will be able to conduct advanced research in public and private research centres.
In particular, candidates must hold either:
a) A first cycle degree obtained in Italy or abroad, in Law, Economics, Political Science, or International Relations. In accordance with national classification, italian first cycle degree must belong to one of the following classes of degrees: L-14 (Scienze dei servizi giuridici), L-33 (Scienze economiche), L-36 (Scienze politiche e delle relazioni internazionali), L-37 (Scienze sociali per la cooperazione, lo sviluppo e la pace), L-16 (Scienze dell'amministrazione e dell'organizzazione), L-18 (Scienze dell'economia e della gestione aziendale),
b) A first cycle degree (three years/bachelor = 180 ECTS), obtained in Italy or abroad, in other disciplines, provided that the candidate has obtained at least 18 ECTS in Law and 12 ECTS in Economics. In accordance with national classification, for student holding an Italian first cycle degree, the above-mentioned ECTS must have been obtained in one or more of the following scientific sectors (s.s.d.):
- for LAW: IUS/01 diritto privato, IUS/02 diritto privato comparato, IUS/04 diritto commerciale, IUS/05 diritto dell'economia, IUS/07 diritto del lavoro, IUS/08 diritto costituzionale, IUS/09 istituzioni di diritto pubblico, IUS/10 diritto amministrativo, IUS/10 diritto tributario, IUS/13 diritto internazionale, IUS/14 diritto dell'unione europea, IUS/17 diritto penale, IUS/20 filosofia del diritto, IUS/21 diritto pubblico comparato;
- for ECONOMICS: SECS-P/01 economia politica, SECS-P/02 politica economica, SECS-P/03 scienza delle finanze, SECS-P/04 storia del pensiero economico, SECS-P/07 economia aziendale, SECS-P/08 economia e gestione delle imprese, SECS-P/10 organizzazione aziendale, SECS-P/12 storia economica, SECS-S/04 demografia.
Assessment of the required qualifications and competencies
The Didactic Board (Collegio didattico) evaluates language and personal competencies of the candidates holding a suitable first-cycle degree. Candidates holding a postgraduate degree in other fields may also be considered for admission.
Applicants whose native language is not English or do not hold a Degree issued upon the completion of an academic programme fully taught in English must demonstrate proficiency in English by providing one of the following international certifications:
- IELTS: minimum overall score of 6.5, with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the reading, writing, listening, and speaking components.
- TOEFL: minimum overall score of 94, with a minimum of 23 in each of the reading, writing, listening, and speaking components.
The knowledge and personal skills of the candidate who satisfies the conditions set out above are assessed by the Didactic Board, based on the academic background and CV of the candidate.
The Didactic Board may admit candidates on condition that they bridge their gaps by carrying out preliminary and compulsory readings indicated by the teachers holding compulsory courses of the first year and attending the introductory courses.
The LL.M. is committed to support the students' choice as to possible destinations and to create further opportunities soon.
The LL.M. also offers two possibilities of double degrees*
- QUEEN MARY UNIVERSITY: Following the successful completion of the first year of study in the LLM in Law and Sustainable Development, students may be granted admission to one of the Master's degree courses offered by Queen Mary University, at a discounted fee. Admitted students will spend the whole second year in London. Upon successful completion of the two Master's programmes, students will be awarded both the UNIMI Master's Programme and the Queen Mary University law degree.
- UNIVERSIDAD DEL PAÍS VASCO: after attending the first year of the LL.M. in Law and Sustainable Development, students may be granted admission to the one-year International Master in Sociology of Law of Universidad Del País Vasco and be awarded the Double Degree.
*the process of renewal of the relevant agreements is still ongoing.
Le tasse universitarie per gli studenti iscritti ai corsi di laurea, di laurea magistrale e di laurea magistrale a ciclo unico sono composte da due rate con modalità di calcolo e tempi di pagamento diversi:
- la prima rata è uguale per tutti
- la seconda rata, detta contributo onnicomprensivo, è di importo variabile in base al tipo di corso, al reddito familiare (leggi come ottenere l'attestazione ISEE) al merito e allo stato della carriera. Per conoscere l’importo della seconda rata è disponibile il simulatore online.
Per i corsi on line è prevista una rata suppletiva.
- agevolazioni per gli studenti con elevati requisiti di merito
- importi diversificati in base al paese per gli studenti internazionali con reddito e patrimonio all'estero
- agevolazioni per gli studenti internazionali con status di rifugiato politico
Maggiori informazioni alla pagina: Tasse anno corrente
L’Ateneo fornisce inoltre una serie di agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali) come:
Info su ammissioni e immatricolazioni