Molecular Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
Specific goal of MB&B is to provide a deep and up-to-date knowledge in the following core subjects:
- molecular biology and biotechnology
- functional genomics and "-omics" technologies
- protein expression systems
- metabolic engineering and industrial processes
- structural biochemistry
- molecular enzymology
- data analysis
In addition, the student will have the opportunity to develop further specific disciplines of its interest, choosing from courses in plant genetics, nanotechnology, biophysics, molecular microbiology, molecular parasitology, structural biology, patenting and technology transfer. The MB&B Master degree combines lecture-based courses (in the first year and the first term of the second year) and an experimental laboratory project leading to a dissertation (second year), to be chosen by the students among many projects offered by the University of Milan and other research institutes, including private companies.
The MB&B Master degree can be accessed by graduates of Laurea Triennale belonging to the L-2 class (Biotechnology) and previous class 1 (Biotechnology). It can also be accessed by any student with a Laurea Triennale providing a strong background (at least 60 University credits) in biotechnology-related subjects, i.e., subjects identified as "core disciplines" for the L-2 class of Laurea Triennale.
Students with a degree from a non-Italian institution:
The candidates must possess a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or University, and a strong knowledge in most (or all) of the following areas: genetics, molecular biology, microbiology, cell biology, biochemistry.
Proficiency in English at a B1 level or higher, under to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), is required for admission.
The B1-level requirement will be ascertained by the University Language Centre (SLAM) upon admission as follows:
- By a language certification at or above B1, obtained no more than 3 years earlier. For the list of language certifications recognized by the University please review: https://www.unimi.it/en/study/language-proficiency/placement-tests-entr…. The certification must be uploaded when submitting the online application;
- By the English level achieved during a Bachelor's degree programme through SLAM courses and tests. The certificates must be less than four years old, and will be assessed administratively, without the applicant having to attach any certificates;
- By the English level assessed through a computer-based test during a Bachelor's degrees obtained at the University of Milan. English levels B1 and B2 achieved no more than four years previously are deemed valid. The verification is automatic with no need to attach any certificate during the application phase;
- By the entrance test, which will be delivered online by the SLAM on July 2, 2021 (9:30 am), and on September 10, 2021 (9:30 am), only for students who have applied for admission at a later date.
All those who fail to submit a valid certificate or do not meet the required proficiency level will be invited to take the test through the admission procedure.
Candidates who do not sit or pass the entrance test will have until 31 December 2021 to obtain and submit one of the recognized certifications to the SLAM.
Students who do not meet the requirement by 31 December will not be admitted to the Master's degree programme and cannot sit further tests.
In the frame work of the Erasmus+ program, the MB&B Master course has in place agreements with Universities in Denmark, Germany, Spain, France, Norway, and The Netherlands, all offering courses in English.
Calls for participation to Erasmus Studio can be found at the following link: https://www.unimi.it/en/international/study-abroad/studying-abroad-eras….
The time spent abroad can be used to attend courses and pass the relative exams, thus collecting credits towards the Master degree, as well as to carry out the experimental project for the dissertation. The student admitted to the mobility program must submit a study plan detailing the training activities that he/she plans to carry out, with the corresponding credits. The number of credits should correspond as much as possible to the number of credits that the student should acquire in a similar time at the home University. The proposed activities must be consistent with the goals and the contents of the Master degree. The study plan must be approved by the MB&B Student Mobility Committee, which can request changes or integrations. At the end of the mobility program, according to the guidelines provided by the University of Milan, the courses attended (with a passed exam) by the student are registered in his/her career, preferably with its original name and with an indication of the ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) and their conversion in CFU (usually
1 ECTS= 1 CFU). The students willing to carry out their dissertation work as part of a mobility program abroad must have an internal supervisor (chosen among the MB&B lecturers) and the study plan must be approved by the MB&B board.
Le tasse universitarie per gli studenti iscritti ai corsi di laurea, di laurea magistrale e a ciclo unico sono suddivise in due rate con modalità di calcolo e tempi di pagamento diversi:
- l'importo della prima rata è uguale per tutti
- l'importo della seconda rata varia in base al valore ISEE Università, al Corso di laurea di iscrizione e alla posizione (in corso/fuori corso da un anno oppure fuori corso da più di un anno).
- per i corsi on line è prevista una rata suppletiva.
- agevolazioni per gli studenti con elevati requisiti di merito
- importi diversificati in base al Paese di provenienza per gli studenti internazionali con reddito e patrimonio all'estero
- agevolazioni per gli studenti internazionali con status di rifugiato
L’Ateneo fornisce agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali)
Info su ammissioni e immatricolazioni