Graduates are trained to interpret the geological depositional settings, the progression of natural processes over time, and changes to the landscape. They also acquire a good command of the techniques of modern cartography and geological mapping representation. Moreover, the course provides a basic grounding in chemistry, physics and mathematics, fundamental knowledge of the various sectors of Earth Sciences, and a good command of the techniques and methods required to pursue a wide range of varied, flexibly professions.
Graduates in Geological Sciences can play a key role in the study, modeling and forecasting of the many processes that regulate the Earth system, with enormously different spatial and temporal scales. It is an active system in which soil can tremble, volcanoes periodically erupt, currents and tides modify the coasts, mountain slopes shape themselves towards new balances between continuous uplift and erosion, winds and rivers transport and redistribute sediments, sometimes invading inhabited areas. All these natural events run after each other and condition the biosphere. The Earth Sciences aim to study causes and effects of the interactions between the geosphere, biosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere in order to understand their natural interactive mechanisms, also to preserve and improve the hospitality of the planet.
Geology graduates can pursue careers in the following sectors:
- the adaptation and updating of geological, technical and thematic mapping;
- research on the development and exploitation of energy resources and raw mineral materials;
- design evaluation of the impact and environmental risk posed by mining activities;
- recovery of disused mining sites;
- technological use of geo-materials in the mechanical, chemical and electronic industries;
- research into the use and treatment of ornamental tombstone materials;
- geological and technical research for the production of civil engineering works and the assessment of their environmental impact;
- research related to water resources and their protection;
- rehabilitation and depollution of polluted sites;
- the locating of controlled landfills;
- land planning;
- hydrogeological installation and protection procedures and the protection and arrangement of unstable versants;
- research related to and the protection of hazard areas;
- geophysical exploration and modelling of geophysical and geological phenomena;
- research into energy, mining and water resources;
- monitoring the environment and civil engineering works;
- the protection of cultural heritage and conservation of monuments;
There is a test to verify the candidates’ initial knowledge, which must be taken before enrollment. The verification is carried out through TOLC tests (the tests valid for registration are TOLC-B, TOLC-I and TOLC-S, CISIA OnLine Test).
Additional learning obligations (OFA)
Students who do not pass the entrance examination on mathematics, are assigned additional learning obligations (OFA, Obblighi formativi aggiuntivi) that they must fulfil in accordance with the provisions of the Programme Structure.
OFA: English language
Students are expected to attain level B1 proficiency in English.
Proficiency may be certified at the time of matriculation by submitting a certificate of level B1 language proficiency or better, or by sitting the SLAM (University Language Centre) placement test during the first year of studies only, between September and December. Students who do not pass the test must follow the SLAM language courses and obtain appropriate certification within the year the plan of study calls for a language exam.
Mandatory for laboratory courses; highly recommended for other teaching courses
Collezioni didattiche per il riconoscimento e studio di fossili, minerali, rocce, sezioni sottili di rocce, carte topografiche e geologiche sono disponibili in aule e in laboratori didattici appositamente organizzati. Aule informatizzate garantiscono l'applicazione di programmi per il trattamento dei dati e per la simulazione di processi geologici.
La strumentazione scientifica installata presso il Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra (http://www.dipterra.unimi.it/ecm/home/laboratori ) garantisce un'adeguata introduzione alle tecniche di caratterizzazione ottica, chimica e fisico-meccanica di minerali, fossili, rocce, suoli, altri materiali naturali o sintetici, nonché di acque e altri fluidi terrestri. Esercitazioni pratiche a complemento delle lezioni in aula sono pertanto svolte in laboratori di microscopia ottica, microscopia elettronica a scansione, microscopia elettronica a trasmissione, meccanica delle rocce, sedimentologia, diffrazione ai raggi X, spettrometria ai raggi X, spettrofotometria in assorbimento e in emissione, spettroscopia visibile e infrarosso.
I laboratori di terreno si articolano in aree ove l'apprendimento delle tecniche di cartografia geologica si combinano con la disponibilità di strutture di supporto ove elaborare dati geologici e ricostruire i processi genetici dei materiali terrestri (es. Stazione di Valchiavenna).
- Ufficio per la Didattica
Via Luigi Mangiagalli, 34 piano terra
- Prof. Massimo Tiepolo
Via Botticelli, 23
riceve quando disponibile o su appuntamento
- Segreteria Studenti
Via Celoria, 18
+39numero a pagamento (attivo dal lunedì al venerdì dalle 09.00 alle 17.00) 199188128
orari di ricevimento al pubblico: http://www.unimi.it/studenti/segreterie/773.htm
For students enrolled on bachelor’s, master’s and single cycle degree programmes are divided into two instalments of different amounts and with different payment deadlines:
- the first, corresponding to the minimum amount, is the same for all students
- the second - technically referred to as an ‘all-inclusive fee’- that is variable.
Students can also be entitled for tuition fee reductions such as:
- lowering for students who meet high merit requirements
- fixed amounts calculated on the basis of the student's citizenship group for those with income/property abroad
- support for students who have political refugee status.
More info at: Fees - current academic year
Scholarships and benefits
L’Ateneo fornisce inoltre una serie di agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali) come: