ISEE Certification

The ISEE (Indicator of Economic Situation) certificate is a tool used to evaluate a family’s economic situation for the purpose of applying for social benefits, calculated on the basis of the family’s Dichiarazione Sostitutiva Unica – DSU (self-declaration form containing information about the family unit and any income and assets).

University students need the University ISEE (issued by INPS and containing the wording "This document is applicable for the purpose of university student benefits”) to calculate the second instalment (and not pay the maximum amount), and to apply for the benefits envisaged under the Education Incentive Programme, for example, study grants, refectory meals, accommodation and on-campus student work.

For the 2019-2020 academic year, the income information required for the purposes of the University ISEE is the family unit's income in the 2017 calendar year, and any movable assets and property held at 31 December 2018.

University ISEE certificates showing omissions or inconsistencies will not be accepted.

Education incentive Programme 

A student can declare him/herself independent of the family of origin and submit his/her own ISEE University certificate if, on the date of signing of the Dichiarazione Sostitutiva Unica (DSU) he/she:

  • does not reside with either parent;
  • the residence outside the family of origin, established for at least 2 years since the date of signing the DSU, is in a building that is not owned by a member of the original family unit;
  • has his/her own income as a dependent or dependent-like employee not working for a family member. The income fiscally declared in calendar years 2017 and 2018 may not be lower than 6,500 euros per year.

If the student is married, subject to the other requirements, he/she can request the ISEE University certificate for his/her own family unit. In this case, the calculation of the minimum income also includes the spouse's income. All the details are available under the specific heading in the Tax Regulations.

How and when to apply

The University ISEE certificate is issued by INPS and contains the wording "This document is applicable for the purpose of university student benefits”.  

To calculate the second instalment and not pay the maximum amount, students must request the University ISEE by 15 November 2019 from:

  • any CAF (Authorized Fiscal Assistance Centre)

  • any INPS office in person, or online on the INPS website.

The ISEE certificate does not need to be handed in to Student Registry since the University will download it from the INPS website: the registration date should coincide with the date of submission of the self-declaration form and not with its date of issue.

More details

Requests for University ISEE certificates submitted between 16 November 2019 and 30 April 2020 (extended) shall incur a € 250.00 penalty charge for late submission.

This penalty also applies to students who have submitted an application to graduate by the third session of the 2018-2019 academic year and must enrol for academic year 2019-2020.

Students who enrol after 31 December 2019 can request the University ISEE between 1 January and 30 April 2020 (extended), paying the € 250.00 penalty for late submission.

Students who request the ISEE certificate after 30 April 2020 (extended) must pay the maximum amount of the second instalment.

Students enrolled on the first year of the master’s degree programme in the 2019-2020 academic year can request the University ISEE certificate up to 30 April 2020 (extended) without incurring the penalty for late submission.

Students with foreign citizenship whose family unit has foreign income and property outside Italy can apply for study grants or other benefits under the Education Incentive Programme (Diritto allo Studio) according to specific criteria based on their country of citizenship. For this purpose, the countries of citizenship are divided into three main groups - A, B and C.

Group A

The first income band is automatically assigned to students from countries in group A and  political refugees.

Groups B and C
The economic situation of students from countries in groups B and C is calculated on the basis of the documentation listed below – to be presented during enrolment or when applying for benefits online – which is needed in order to confirm:

  • the composition of the family unit (mother, father, siblings who live under the same roof), issued by the relevant authorities in the student’s country of origin.

  • income in the 2018 calendar year.

  • movable assets at 31/12/2018 (for example, deposits, shares or investment securities, life insurances, net worth of any company/ies or business/es owned).

  • property owned at 31/12/2018.

All the above documentation must be presented during the enrolment procedure or when applying online for benefits, and must include information relating to all members of the family named in the stato di famiglia (certificate of family status). All documentation must be translated into Italian and legally certified.

Further details can be found in the calls for applications for study grants and accommodation, normally published between the end of June and July each year.

The University checks the truthfulness of the information declared in the DSU signed for the purpose of requesting and issuing the University ISEE using the following methods:

  • by accessing the databases of the Italian Revenue Agency, the Italian Territorial Agency and INPS.

  • by asking the relevant public authorities, or the student, to provide the necessary documentation.

Once the checks and controls have been carried out, the University can automatically recalculate the University ISEE certificate or ask the student to provide a new certificate.