Recognition of foreign academic qualifications and exams
Qualifications obtained abroad are not automatically valid in Italy, but are assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Each university decides whether to recognise exams taken in foreign universities or foreign qualifications, for the purposes of admission, furthering studies and achieving Italian qualifications.
The recognition of foreign academic qualifications for other purposes, such as participation in public competitions or access to regulated professions, shall be obtained from other public administrations.
For more information on the recognition procedure, please visit the website of Cimea, the national information centre for the recognition of qualifications obtained abroad.
The results of the test for the recognition of the foreign degree in Medicine held on 16th September 2020 are available here below.
If you want to enrol with the University of Milan, you need not submit a special application for recognition: your university degree will be assessed during the admission procedure. The recognition of any exams taken abroad may be requested during the enrolment procedure.
If you wish to have your university degree assessed to obtain the same Italian qualification, you have to submit an Application for recognition, together with the documents listed below from 1 March to 30 June of each year (only for Medicine and Surgery the deadline is 30 July).
Non-European citizens residing abroad have to access the Universitaly portal in order to fill in the relative "pre-enrolment application" online. The subsequent pre-enrolment phases must be completed at the relevant Diplomatic-consular missions for the purpose of obtaining the study visa.
Medicine and Dental Medicine
The recognition of degrees in Medicine and Dental Medicine is subject to an ad hoc test.
We inform you that the exams for the recognition of the foreign degree in Dentistry will be held on
- Monday 12th October 2020 at 9:30 (Aula Magna, Clinica Odontoiatrica “G Vogel”, Via Beldiletto 1) written test
- Monday 19th October 2020 at 9,30 (Aula Peduzzi, Clinica Odontoiatrica “G Vogel”, Via Beldiletto 1) practical test
- Monday 19th October 2020 at 11,00 (Aula Peduzzi, Clinica Odontoiatrica “G Vogel”, Via Beldiletto 1) oral test
Recognition of health professions degrees is subject to admission. To register for the admission test, see the procedures and deadlines in the call for applications. Qualifications obtained more than 3 or 5 years ago cannot be recognized (for more information see the Study Programme).
Economics & Management and International Relations
The recognition of degrees in Economics & Management and in International Relations is subject to admission. To register for the admission test, see the procedures and deadlines in the call for applications.
Admission to years subsequent to the first into a programme with limited access is conditional upon the availability of places in the programme.
The application for recognition of a foreign qualification addressed to the University of Milan must state the degree programme for which you claim recognition. Please attach the following documents:
- high school diploma;
- university degree, with certified Italian translation and statement of validity (Dichiarazione di valore in loco) or certificate of validity issued by ENIC-NARIC centres;
- a statement issued by the foreign university listing the exams taken (with corresponding marks, credits/hours and exam dates), translated and certified;
- detailed syllabuses for exams taken, on headed paper and with a stamp of the university of origin, with translations (not required for Medicine, Dental Medicine and Law);
- receipt of payment for recognition that has to be made through the online service Gestione pagamenti by selecting Contributi per prestazioni d'ufficio > Contributo riconoscimento titolo estero;
- valid identity document;
- tax code;
- residence permit (ONLY for non-EU citizens).
The high school diploma, university statement and syllabuses (points 1, 3, 4) are also accepted in French, English, German and Spanish (unless otherwise indicated for individual programmes).
The certified translation of the university degree and the related statement of validity can be replaced by the Diploma Supplement issued by the universities of countries belonging to the European Higher Education Area.
If there are bilateral agreements for the mutual recognition of academic qualifications (eg Italy/Austria), the equivalence of qualifications is automatically recognized upon completing administrative checks of documents submitted.
Failing bilateral or specific agreements, the competent academic authority will assess the exams taken abroad and, if there are no substantial differences, may approve, within 90 days from the date of receipt of the application:
- the total recognition of the qualification, following which the equivalent Italian qualification will be issued;
- the partial recognition of the qualification, resulting in the possibility of enrolling in a given year of the corresponding Italian programme (shorter programme). In this case, you can enrol in the chosen programme according to the deadlines and requirements for the current academic year, take pending exams and obtain your degree.
Students who matriculate into the University of Milan holding a degree from a foreign university, or who attended a foreign university, and wish to receive transfer credit must submit an application for their prior university career to be reviewed. The following documents must be included with the application:
- Official transcript issued by the foreign university, translated and certified;
- Relevant excerpts from the course catalogue printed on university letterhead, embossed with the university’s seal, translated.
The application for a review of the student’s prior academic career completed abroad may only be submitted at the matriculation stage.
Students who do not submit such application at that stage waive the right to submit one thereafter.