International enrolment in degree programmes

University enrolment in Italy is regulated by ministerial provisions that establish different admission procedures for EU or EU-equivalent students and non-EU students residing abroad.

Italian, European or non-European citizens with residence permits shall apply directly to the University. They need not pass any Italian proficiency test and are admitted with no quotas.

On the contrary, non-EU students residing abroad are required to submit a pre-enrolment application and pass an Italian proficiency test in order to be admitted.

To enrol, it is necessary to apply for admission and take an admission test or a skills assessment. Admission and enrolment procedures are described at:

Degree programmes

Degree programmes and calls for enrolment are published every year, between February and July.

Search for the course of your interest.

International Students - Welcome Desk

By appointment (infostudenti)

Specific procedures for international students

Besides the procedures required for all students, international students also have to follow these instructions:

There is a fixed number of places in each degree programme for non-EU students resident abroad. The information for all Italian Universities is published on the Ministry website. The number of places is also indicated in the degree programme information sheet in the "Programmes" section.

Non-EU students resident abroad must apply for pre-enrolment (Form A + two copies) at the Italian diplomatic office in their country (Embassy, Consulate, Italian Institute of Culture) as indicated in the Ministerial regulations

Application may only be made for one university and one study programme.

The application must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • higher school certificate;

  • if the duration of schooling is less than 12 years: certificate of enrolment at university and list of exams passed or a post-secondary diploma from a non-university tertiary institution;

  • Certificate of academic competence if required in the country of origin.

Diplomas and other qualifications must be officially translated into Italian and legalised by the authorities of the issuing country (except in the case of exemption under international agreements and conventions). Qualifications should be accompanied by a "Dichiarazione di valore" (Declaration of Value) issued by the Italian diplomatic office in the country of origin.

Applications by students who have finished their studies and are awaiting issue of the higher school certificate, are accepted with reservations; the certificate, translated and legalised, together with its Declaration of Value must be submitted before the enrolment deadline.

The embassy or consulate will ascertain whether a  Study visa  can be issued.

The documents lodged by successful applicants will be returned to the applicant before the date established by the Ministry, and must be lodged at the university in order to complete enrolment.

Final high school grades from other countries can be converted into the equivalent in the Italian system of assessment.

If your school-leaving mark is numerical, you can use the following formula:

                  V - Vmin

Grade = ------------------------  * (Imax -Imin) + Imin

              Vmax - Vmin

where V is the mark to convert
Vmin = minimum mark for a pass in the foreign school
Vmax = maximum mark in the foreign school
Imin = minimum mark for a pass in an Italian school (60/100)
Imax = maximum mark in an Italian school (100/100)

Results with decimals should be rounded to the nearest integer.

If your school-leaving mark is qualitative (judgements, letters and the like) conversion of the mark is assessed case by case.

Who must do the test

Unless they choose a programme taught entirely in English, all non-EU students resident abroad must do an Italian language proficiency test.

The following students do not have to do the test:

  • students who gained their higher school diploma in Italian schools abroad;

  • students with one of the qualifications issued by the "Scuole di frontiera" (frontier schools) listed in annex 2 of the Ministerial provisions;

  • students who graduated from lower secondary schools in Argentina and have complementary certificates demonstrating study of the Italian language for at least 5 years;

  • students with a Diploma di lingua e cultura italiana from the Universities for Foreigners of Perugia or Siena;

  • students graded B2 or higher in Italian, certified by the CLIQ quality certification system in line with the technical standards set by the Council of Europe.

Passing the language test is an essential requirement for enrolment: students who do not pass the test cannot enrol in the university in the coming academic year and must return to their country of residence.

When and where

The language test is generally held between late August and early September. The dates are published on this page.

Candidates must present for the test with a valid identity document.


The Italian language proficiency test results are published on this page and displayed in the “International Students” notice case at the Student Secretariat.

Students who do not pass the test cannot enrol in any programme of this or other Italian universities.

Students who pass the test but are not awarded one of the available places for their programme can only enrol if a place becomes available; alternatively, they can apply to enrol in other degree programmes or be reassigned to other universities, provided places are available and subject to the conditions established by the appropriate academic authorities.

After enrolling online, students with qualifications obtained abroad have to submit a copy of the following paper documents to the International Students Office:

  • receipt of online enrolment request;
  • high school diploma, translated into Italian, legalized by the authorities of the country issuing the degree;
  • on-site Declaration of Value issued by the Italian Embassy in the country where the diploma or validity certificate issued by ENIC-NARIC centers or by diplomatic representations in Italy has been obtained;
  • University enrolment certificate with the list of exams taken or post-secondary qualification obtained in a non-university higher institute if the local system contemplate less than 12 years of schooling;
  • academic suitability certificate if provided in the Country of origin;
  • copy of valid residence permit (only for non-EU citizens);
  • Fiscal code.

Those enrolled in a two-year master's degree programme must also submit:

  • Degree (Bachelor Sc. or equivalent), translated into Italian by an official translator, legalized by the competent authorities of the Country issuing the degree.

In addition to these documents, non-EU students residing abroad have to deliver also:

  • model A (pre-registration at the Embassy);
  • request for a residence permit (if required);
  • any certificates of competence in Italian.

International Students - Welcome Desk

By appointment (infostudenti)


Please also bring original documents.

Verification of the validity of qualifications obtained abroad is made upon delivery of official documents. Until then, candidates are admitted to programmes with reservations and may be excluded from the courses if they do not meet the requirements.