Biotechnology for the Bioeconomy
Bioeconomy responds to the environmental challenges the world is facing, oriented to reduce the dependence on natural resources by promoting sustainable production of plants, microorganisms and animals and their conversion into food, feed, materials, bio-based products and bio-energy. Biotechnology is a key enabling technology for a green and sustainable economy (i.e. bioeconomy), offering solutions for the production of bioenergy and biomolecules from (waste) plant and microbial biomasses, environmental protection (bioremediation), green chemistry, sustainable agri-food production.
The BforB master degree aims at providing students with advanced molecular and cellular background of microbial and plant systems, expertise about the structure and function of biological macromolecules and the molecular methods supporting the research in biotechnologies applied to the bioeconomy.
The acquisition of theoretical and practical instruments for the set up and improvement of biotechnological processes applied to sustainable productions and the transformation of renewable raw materials by exploiting microorganisms, plant systems and enzymes, will complete the profile of the BforB graduate.
The BforB graduate is an expert in the coordination, management and set up of research and development laboratories in the chemical, agro-environmental and biotechnological sectors. The function will primarily be the development, implementation and coordination of research projects, set up and quality control of bioprocesses. The BforB graduate is an expert in planning, development, analyses and control of processes for:
- Industrial fermentations for production of metabolites and renewable energy
- plant and microbial cell as biofactories for molecules of interest in the fine chemical and polymer industry, agri-food and pharmaceutical industry with particular application to the green chemistry and bio-based industry
- bioremediation of contaminated land and waters, using plants and/or microorganisms
- innovative diagnosis tools, applied in particular to the traceability in agri-food chain
The employment opportunities for the BforB graduate are in research bodies (public and private) and bio-based chemical, pharmaceutical, agri-food, and biotechnological enterprises.
Applications and admissions: Free.
The access to the Master’s degree in Biotechnology for the bioeconomy (BforB) is open to:
- graduates belonging to the L-2 class (Biotechnology) and previous class 1 (Biotechnology)
- any student with a Bachelor’s degree providing a strong background (at least 60 ects) in biotechnology-related subjects, identified as “core disciplines” for the L-2 class
- Foreign students which possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or University.
To have a fruitful and smooth course of study students need a strong background in chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology and genetics. They will need to acquire autonomously the basic knowledge in these fields, which are propaedeutic to fully understand the lessons. Course teachers will be available to provide indication for additional textbooks.
In order to be enrolled to the Master degree, students who did not obtain the bachelor degree in an international course are required to certify their knowledge of the English language at the B2 level in one of the following ways: - By submitting a language certificate accepted by the University of Milan and attesting a B2 or higher level of knowledge - By sitting for the Placement Test run by SLAM-Servizio Linguistico di Ateneo in the week before the beginning of the lessons (details will be provided to students that asked for admission).
If the student does not sustain or pass the Placement Test will have to get a language certificate outside the University of Milan within the next December 31 st .
In the framework of the Erasmus+ program, the BforB Master course has in place agreements with Universities in, Finland, Germany, Spain, France, Austria, all offering courses in English.
Calls for participation can be found at the following link: https://www.unimi.it/en/international/study-abroad/studying-abroad-erasmus.
The time spent abroad can be used to attend courses and pass the relative exams, thus collecting credits towards the Master degree, as well as to carry out the experimental project for the dissertation. The student admitted to the mobility program must submit a study plan detailing the training activities that he/she plans to carry out, with the corresponding credits. The number of credits should correspond as much as possible to the number of credits that the student should acquire in a similar span of time at the home University. The proposed activities must be consistent with the goals and the contents of the Master degree.
The study plan must be approved by the BforB Student Mobility Committee, which can request changes or integrations. At the end of the mobility program, according to the guidelines provided by the University of Milan, the courses (with a passed exam) and laboratory trainings attended by the student are registered in his/her career, with its original name and with an indication of the ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) and their conversion in CFU (usually 1 ECTS= 1 CFU).
The students willing to carry out their dissertation work as part of a mobility program abroad must have an internal supervisor (chosen among the BforB lecturers) and the study plan must be approved by the BforB board.
Le tasse universitarie per gli studenti iscritti ai corsi di laurea, di laurea magistrale e di laurea magistrale a ciclo unico sono composte da due rate con modalità di calcolo e tempi di pagamento diversi:
- la prima rata è uguale per tutti
- la seconda rata, detta contributo onnicomprensivo, è di importo variabile in base al tipo di corso, al reddito familiare (leggi come ottenere l'attestazione ISEE) al merito e allo stato della carriera. Per conoscere l’importo della seconda rata è disponibile il simulatore online.
Per i corsi on line è prevista una rata suppletiva.
- agevolazioni per gli studenti con elevati requisiti di merito
- importi diversificati in base al paese per gli studenti internazionali con reddito e patrimonio all'estero
- agevolazioni per gli studenti internazionali con status di rifugiato politico
Maggiori informazioni alla pagina: Tasse anno corrente
L’Ateneo fornisce inoltre una serie di agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali) come: