Active since 2006, the Ethics Committee of the University of Milan expresses an opinion on studies submitted by researchers working at the University for the purposes of:
- protecting the rights, dignity, integrity and well-being of the human beings involved
- ensuring environmental stewardship, protection and conservation
- promoting and ensuring compliance with Research Integrity.
His opinion is normally required to submit research projects to national, EU or international institutions for funding applications and for publication in most scientific journals. The Ethics Committee does not have competence on clinical trials of drugs pursuant to article 3 of the relevant regulation, stating that “the functions reserved by law to the ethics committees of other institutions, namely hospitals, are outside the province of the University Ethics Committee".
Since June 2014, it has been the responsibility of the Animal Welfare Board (OPBA) to express opinions on the ethical profiles of scientific, experimental or educational research activities that exclusively involve animals or biological animal-derived materials.
The Committee is appointed every three academic years. It includes internal scientific experts and one external member, specialising in different fields:
- Margherita Maria Ramajoli, full professor of Administrative Law - academic field IUS/10, President
- Daniela Milani, senior associate professor of Ecclesiastical and Canon Law - academic field SSD IUS/11
- Giovanni Ziccardi, senior associate professor of Philosophy of Law – academic field IUS/20
- Chiara Ragni, senior associate professor of International Law - academic field IUS/13
- Luigi Sironi, senior associate professor of Pharmacology – academic field BIO/14
- Valeria Edefonti, senior associate professor of Medical Statistics – academic field MED/01
- Paolo Tremolada, senior associate professor of Ecology - academic field BIO/07
- Giuseppe Curigliano, senior associate professor of Medical Oncology - academic field MED/06
- Beatrice Magni, senior associate professor of Political Philosophy - academic field SPS/01
- Francesca Minerva, research fellow of Moral Philosophy - academic field M-FIL/03
- Domenico Mavilio, senior associate professor of Technical Sciences for Laboratory Medicine- academic field MED/46
- Patrizia Borsellino, full professor of Philosophy of Law – academic field IUS/20 – University of Milano-Bicocca.
The meetings of the Ethics Committee will be held on the following dates:
- December 14, 2021, 2 pm - Room I (document submission deadline: December 3, 9 am)
- January 27, 2022, 2 pm - Room II (document submission deadline: January 12, 9 am)
- February 25, 2022, 2 pm - Room II (document submission deadline: February 10, 9 am)
- March 28, 2022, 2 pm - Room II (document submission deadline: March 11, 9 am)
- April 28, 2022, 2 pm - Room II (document submission deadline: April 13, 9 am)
- May 30, 2022, 2 pm - Room II (document submission deadline: May 13, 9 am)
- June 30, 2022, 2 pm - Room II (document submission deadline: June 15, 9 am)
- July 21, 2022, 2 pm - Room II (document submission deadline: July 6, 9 am).
The minutes of the Ethics Committee meetings are available to Committee members only on Unimibox.